Does a Changing Electric Field Create a Magnetic Field?

In summary, creating a magnetic field can be done by either a moving charge or an electric field that changes with time. This is due to the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, as described by Maxwell's equations.
bb.minhtri
Creating Magnetic Field

Homework Statement

Which of the following that creates a magnetic field?

A. A moving charge
B. An electric field that changes with time.
C. Both of them.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A is definitely correct, I wonder if B is correct as well. I can not figure out their relation(electric field and magnetic field). If possible, please provide me a formula.

Thanks a lot for your help:D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you think back through your course, do you vary the electric field to generate a magnetic one or do you vary the magnetic field to generate an electric one?

I think this is the distinction they are looking for.

I believe B will also create a magnetic field perpendicular to the electric field. Here is my logic:

* When there is an alternating electric field, charges will change position to keep up with the polarity which is same with the condition a.
* As example: Assume you are charging a capacitor with AC; your capacitor will definitely drain current in steady state. But in DC case capacitor will only drain current at the time in between zero voltage on capacitor and DC voltage on capacitor.

You know the formula of the capacitor

I= C* dv/dt

So you know the relation between the current and the magnetic field: Or so to say the maxwell equations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field#Maxwell.27s_equations

The presence of a time-changing E does imply something about charges moving and so it would be accompanied by a magnetic field ... does that fit in with the level that the question is being asked?

That's the trick with these things.

Thanks. I think I can get on with that explanation:D The electric field change due to charge movement.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you create an electric field?

An electric field can be created by placing two or more charged particles in close proximity to each other. The relative positions and magnitudes of these charges will determine the strength and direction of the electric field.

3. What materials can be used to create an electric field?

Any material that contains charged particles, such as electrons or protons, can be used to create an electric field. This includes conductors, such as metal, and insulators, such as plastic.

4. What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charges creating the field, the distance between the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. Additionally, the shape and arrangement of the charges can also impact the strength of the electric field.

5. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of force exerted on a charged particle per unit of distance. Electric field strength can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a voltmeter or an electric field meter.