How do I create a gear system in Inventor for a motor to turn a drum?

• Thread starter Will_SPHS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears
In summary, the speaker is working on a school project involving a motor turning a drum. They plan to use a pinion attached to the motor shaft and a larger gear on the drum to rotate it, with the motor being offset. They need to create the gear system in Inventor and are unsure of how to do so. The required balancing torque for the drum is 8.35 lb*ft and the motor they are using provides 7.8 lb*ft at 2 rpm, with a gear ratio of 2. They also mention that the motor shaft size is 6mm and the drum diameter is 1'. They were able to solve their issue with the gear system in Inventor by changing the mode.
Will_SPHS
I am working on a school project where a motor needs to turn a drum. The motor is mounted to one side of the drum.

fvkxnm.jpg

The motor is much smaller than the one in the picture, and won't be able to attach directly to the axle. Currently, I am thinking that I attach a pinion to the end of the motor shaft and attach a larger gear on the side of the drum to rotate it. The motor will then be offset by the respective center distance.

The maximum required balancing torque for the drum is 8.35 lb*ft. The motor we are using provides 7.8 lbft at 2 rpm. The output rpm of the second gear isn't a big deal. It can be anything, but for simplicity's sake, I will make it 1 rpm. That means the gear ratio of the two gear system is 2.

I need to make the gear system in Inventor so that I can attach it to the 3D model. I know that I need to go to the Design tab -> Power Transmission -> Spur Gear in order to make the system, but am otherwise lost. It is asking for diametral pitch and some other things that I have no idea how to figure out. My question is, how exactly do I create the specified gear system in Inventor?

Thank you!

Other information:
  • The motor shaft size is 6mm (0.236'').
  • The drum diameter is 1'. The gear system needs to take up less than this diameter so that it can be covered by an end cap of the same diameter as the drum.

[ mentor note: image fixed ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I just figured that problem out. Inventor can calculate everything for you based off of the center distance and gear ratio, I just needed to change the mode.

Likes NascentOxygen

1. How do I create a gear in Inventor?

To create a gear in Inventor, go to the "Create" tab and select "Gear." Then, choose the desired gear type and size. You can also customize the gear by adjusting parameters such as the number of teeth and pressure angle.

2. Can I import custom gear profiles into Inventor?

Yes, you can import custom gear profiles into Inventor by going to the "Tools" tab and selecting "Custom Content" > "Gear Profiles." Then, click "Import" and choose the file containing your custom gear profile.

3. How do I assemble gears in Inventor?

To assemble gears in Inventor, use the "Assemble" tool under the "Assemble" tab. Select the gear components and use the "Mate" tool to connect them. You can also use the "Gear Constraint" tool to define the gear ratio and other parameters.

4. Can I simulate gear movement in Inventor?

Yes, you can simulate gear movement in Inventor by using the "Motion" tool under the "Assemble" tab. This will allow you to see how the gears interact and move with each other.

5. How do I export gears from Inventor for manufacturing?

To export gears for manufacturing in Inventor, go to the "Make" tab and select "Export." Choose the desired file format (such as STL or STEP) and save the file. This can then be used for 3D printing or production using CNC machines.