1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating PDF documents?

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do I create a PDF document with math symbols in it without spending a lot of money.

2. Relevant equations
    The limit of my spending tends to zero.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Should I just get acrobat and use the program I already own (rapid-pi) which helps to create the documents in Microsoft Word? Will acrobat turn those documents (which have custom fonts) into good pdfs?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By using LaTeX.

4. May 5, 2007 #3
  5. May 6, 2007 #4
    Or you can use OpenOffice write the Equations in it(word-like style) and then save it to pdf.

Completely free and simple.

6. May 6, 2007 #5

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I use PDFCreator http://www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator to "print" to .pdf from any Windows application. (It uses Ghostscript.)

7. May 6, 2007 #6
    Try this:

Try Foxit Reader, they have something called the Foxit PDF creator.
    Here's the link:

Foxit reader mainpage

Just go to the downloads section. Also their PDF reader is pretty nice.

8. May 6, 2007 #7
    Open Office would be the Easiest. It has a built in equation editor. You can also use CutePDF to "print" PDF files. If you want to use LaTex, than I would suggest a software package called MikTex.

9. May 6, 2007 #8

I followed this link and it is very easy and the documents come out looking really decent. I may eventually grab open office, but for now, this app will do the trick.

Thanks all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?