Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating PDF Files from Other Formats

1. Apr 5, 2004 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the easiest way to make PDF's from HTML or DOC files?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use Adobe Distiller as a printer driver, and print them from IE or Word.

- Warren

4. Apr 5, 2004 #3
    OpenOfficeWriter (unix/linux version; I don't know about the windows version) includes a PDF converter. Select it as you would any printer on the print menu & it prints your document to a PDF file.

5. Apr 6, 2004 #4
  6. Apr 8, 2004 #5
    An interesting website is as below

http://www.daneprairie.com/

7. Apr 24, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

FYI, I wound up going with PDF 995. It works like a charm converting HTML documents, but it is having trouble swallowing a PS file that I have. I'll try the ones you suggested.

8. Apr 25, 2004 #7
    But is a program that can convert from PDF to Microsoft Word or other formats available yet?

9. Apr 27, 2004 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

recon,

Such a thing won't ever happen. It is not possible, except in rare cases.

- Warren

10. Sep 30, 2004 #9
    recon
    Why dont you try Ctrl+A,copy ,paste in word(will take some time)
    Unfortunately For graphic,you have to manually select one by one

11. Oct 2, 2004 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

12. Oct 3, 2004 #11
    Methinks,
    There are lots of ways to do that, I personally usually do the same as what your question made especially when I run Windows: dirrectly create a pdf file from a doc file.
    You have to download winteng which is available on the internet (Acrobat.com (?)). You also need to have Ghostscript, GhostView already installed, these two guys are also for free.
    After you create your doc file and would like to make a change into pdf one, you print it to file first with a .prn extension and then open this .prn file under GhostView by which you are able to change it into a pdf format.

Another way I also use is via Miktex (?), I code my file in notepad or in some editor, and save it with .tex extension and just change this .tex file into dvi and then pdf, it is just in same way as what I or You usually do under Linux.

As a note, a pdf file created by directly changing from doc/html mightnot be printable under unix, linux system. I guess it is because of the way it was formated. Real Reasons ? I.......don't.......know......
    I don't bother to look for them either because there are lots of ways to create a pdf file. But if anyone could post a reason for such a strange behavior of OSes, I would really love to seriously take it as nice future reference...:niceteeth:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?