Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating plasma in nitrogen

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    Would anyone know or happen to be able direct me to some information:

How would I create a glowing plasmoid in the air using a 1 watt 808 nm diode laser?

Essentially I am converting the nitrogen in the air into a plasma using a 1watt 808nm diode laser focused to a point.

Now is there anyway to pulse this laser the same way a qswitch would pulse a yag laser?
    Or is it possible to create a light emitting plasmoid using the 808 itself?

Any information on this would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2
    as far as i know one needs amplified ultra-short pulses to generate a plasma jet. which means something like 4 Watt at 3 khZ and 30 fs pulse length. with this parameter you should easy get a plasma within the focus of the laser. a diode laser with ns pulse length or so shouldnt work.

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    I'm looking for specific values such as how many watts per mm3 from an 808 nm diode laser, pulsed at whatever rate is required to induce a plasma within the available nitrogen in typical cubic mm of air. This plasmoid has to be visible.
    Or are there other easier ways such as a different type of laser, however, I currently have the 808 and I would like to stick with it.

5. Oct 7, 2009 #4
    To produce a plasma you need electric fields that are high enough to ionize the matter. from that point you can calculate back the parameters of the beam.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook