Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creation Museum

1. May 29, 2007 #1

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2007 #2
  4. May 29, 2007 #3
    yea the guy who owns (or directs or something) the museum was on CFRB today (talk radio station from Toronto) on the John Moore show (who was not at all impressed), but I'm glad he didn't start arguing with the guy and actually let him talk because it was a pretty nice insight into the "logic" behind these things.

5. May 29, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The hardly unexpected next step after Kent Hovind's enormous success with Dinosaur Adventure Land.

6. May 29, 2007 #5

Danger

Gold Member

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of...

7. May 29, 2007 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That anyone is surprised by any of the surprises that come from the creationists anymore is a surprise to me.

8. May 29, 2007 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not surprised, just disgusted. Just think of how many abortion clinics and archeological expeditions could have been funded with that money...

9. May 29, 2007 #8

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see what you mean (and appreciate how you put it). To be honest, I haven't looked too deeply into what ideas creationists have been coming up with. It's always somewhat painful and irksome to read. I guess that's why I find this so difficult to fathom...due to a degree of naivete about just how deep-seated/widespread some of these ideas are.

10. May 29, 2007 #9
    It's not quite as deep-seated as you'd think. There are many of us evangelicals who know that creation "science" is garbage (at best). Strangely, many of the professing creationists I talk to are aware, at some level, that this pseudoscience just doesn't hold up when put to the flame. My guess is that this movement is led by a small group of people who happen to hold sway over many Americans. They've probably realized that they're plenty of money to be made from creationism through seminars, literature, and museums. I think that if you have a reasoned discussion with most of these guys, without trying to present science as opposed to faith, they'll usually realize how dubious creationism is.

Should creationism be stopped? Absolutely. But I'd recommend a softer approach. Creationists seem to love having arguments, so if you take the adversarial road, you aren't going to win. Fortunately, creationists tend to recycle the same set of ten or so arguments (gaps in the fossil record, 300,000 year old mollusks, dust on the moon, etc.), so it's not too hard to explain their folly in an expedient manner.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  11. May 29, 2007 #10
    it would be interesting to see this become the next jurassic park

to bad there is no genetic engineering involved

12. May 29, 2007 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Doesn't this contradict itself? Either that or it implies dinosaurs and humans were alive at the same time. :biggrin:

13. May 29, 2007 #12
    that's exactly what it implies. The guy on the radio said something along the lines of "and this is still true today, komodo dragons are dinosaurs." ... ok, komodo dragons are in fact very large reptiles. But I don't think it takes an expert eye to spot the slight differences between a komodo dragon and a T-rex :uhh:.

EDIT: I would actually have no problem with a bible museum if it presented the bible as a story, it could be very interesting and educational. It's one of the most important books ever written, we can also learn a lot about the way society functioned and the way we understood the universe back in those days— told, first hand, by those very people (The only reason I wouldn't go is because I don't think I could stand being in a place packed-full of religious nuts snootily ooohing and aaahing. And I get sick to the stomach when I see parents brain-washing their little kids with that crap).

But it's a great book, and it's one of the most ridiculously violent, racist, sexist, action-packed sagas ever written: thousands of years of generation after generation killing, raping, plaguing, enslaving, and torturing each other. Monstrous wars, the earth opening up an swallowing sinners into a fiery death! It's like "Terminator" minus the plot consistency!

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  14. May 29, 2007 #13

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Did creationists always believe this? I thought it was generally accepted that dinosaurs existed long before humans, even for those who believed in creation.

15. May 29, 2007 #14
    It really depends who you ask, they can't even agree between them. I've heard some of the more moderate ones say that the bible is a metaphor for God's work written for people to understand back in those days (which still would not make sense, since the order in which God created things during those 7 days isn't even the right order). Then there are others who say the bible is all true, but some parts are metaphors (mysteriously, all the parts that have been proven wrong are metaphors, while the others aren't)...

Then there are those who believe that God gave the earth the appearance of being billions of years old (that he created the earth already filled with fossils and rocks that are billions of years old)... because, you know, God's tricky like that; he likes to keep you guessing, even if it sends you straight to hell to guess wrong.

and on and on and on... in short, don't look for a rational or consistent argument.

16. May 30, 2007 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A call for the truth police! :uhh: I still tend to favor freedom of faith and thought.

Just wait until someone starts mixing the Many Worlds Theory with Bible doctrine. "In the beginning, in a very large number of worlds, there was light, in the rest there was not..."

17. May 30, 2007 #16
    I favor reason and rationality way before I favor freedom of faith and thought. These people say mainstream science is a fairy tale and substitute their own ad-hoc BS.

I say beat them with sticks like they do in Iran until they learn to shut up.

Hash yes, but their ignorance is a deadly plague and it needs to be put to an end.

These people need to be a laughing stock in the mainstream media 24-7. The news should make a joke out of these people every night.

They say things like "This country was founded with Judeo-Christian beliefs".............well, no. Most presidents were not Jesus freaks. Learn your own history and stop making up more BS like they make up their own science.

Full of it....there all full of it. The news should call them "Domestic Fundamentalists"

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  18. May 30, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who gets to say what is truth? What is your definitive reference to look-up the right answers?

19. May 30, 2007 #18
    I think well established science counts as truth. Im all for a well educated public. These idiots get wayyyyyy too much leeway.

The government cant tell them what to say or think. But as a society, we can shun them and outcast them, which I would be all for.

20. May 30, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Throughout history, what percentage of scientific theories have required revision or were flat-out wrong?

They already are, as are you by them. But I don't think we should have elected one as President.

21. May 30, 2007 #20

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to come off as supporting cyrus' pogrom, but I expected a much better argument here. Surely you're not going off on the "Newton was wrong, so science is just faith" rant? I thought that was reserved for cranks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?