Creating Mass w/ Velocity: Effects on EM Wave?

In summary: I browsed a little bit through the paper, but it's not my area of expertise... I'm not sure if the classical result is just a rough estimate or if it's expected to hold an arbitrary order of accuracy in the perturbative series. In the paper, the author says "This work can be considered as a step towards the classical description of the Schwinger effect." I'm not sure if this means that the classical result should be equivalent to the Schwinger effect in some regime. The basic idea is to use the Gordon decomposition of the Dirac field to obtain a classical current of an electron coupled to the electromagnetic field. The classical equations of motion for the electron in the combined background field of the photon and the electron itself are solved
marlowgs
If I create an electromagnetic wave with electric and magnetic fields partially out of phase, would it behave the same as a mass with velocity less than the speed of light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would such a wave satisfy Maxwell's equations?

In pair-production, a light wave (in-phase E&M) comes close to a heavy particle and turns into two masses with momentum, but the light wave needs to have a minimum energy to produce the particles. I’m wondering what happens if less than the minimum is there. Do the electric and magnetic fields go out of phase for a short time as the photon swipes past the heavy particle and does the partially out-of-phase photon act as an intermediate particle.

marlowgs said:
In pair-production, a light wave (in-phase E&M) comes close to a heavy particle and turns into two masses with momentum, but the light wave needs to have a minimum energy to produce the particles. I’m wondering what happens if less than the minimum is there. Do the electric and magnetic fields go out of phase for a short time as the photon swipes past the heavy particle and does the partially out-of-phase photon act as an intermediate particle.

You're mixing up the classical and quantum views of light, and that's not going to end well. :wink:

For pair production, the only approach I've seen uses the quantum view of light, in which light isn't a wave, it's photons (heuristically speaking). Then there is no such thing as the electric and magnetic fields being in phase or out of phase, because you're not modeling the light as electric and magnetic fields.

I don't know if anyone has even tried to model pair production with the light being treated classically. I suspect it wouldn't work.

Likes vanhees71
It depends, which process you look at. If you have in mind pair production as the process ##\gamma + \gamma \rightarrow \mathrm{e}^+ + \mathrm{e}^-##, I don't see, how you could describe this in classical terms.

The other extreme is the Schwinger mechanism, where a very strong static classical electric field leads to the spontaneous production of electron-positron pairs. So far this has not been observed in nature.

Likes HallsofIvy
PeterDonis said:
[..]
I don't know if anyone has even tried to model pair production with the light being treated classically. I suspect it wouldn't work.
Interesting question! A quick search about "pair production in classical electrodynamics" yields a paper by A. Carati as well as more recently, a Powerpoint and a youtube presentation by Martin Land. Obviously it's "work-in-progress".

1. How does mass affect the velocity of an electromagnetic wave?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the velocity of an electromagnetic wave. The speed of light, which is the speed of an electromagnetic wave in a vacuum, is constant and does not change with the mass of an object.

2. Can increasing mass result in a change in the frequency of an electromagnetic wave?

No, the frequency of an electromagnetic wave is determined by the source of the wave. The mass of an object does not impact the frequency of the wave.

3. Does the velocity of an electromagnetic wave change when passing through a medium with different mass density?

The velocity of an electromagnetic wave does change when passing through a medium, but this change is not directly related to the mass density of the medium. Instead, it is related to the refractive index of the medium, which is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced while passing through the medium.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave. The wavelength is determined by the frequency and velocity of the wave, which are not impacted by the mass of an object.

5. Is there a relationship between mass, velocity, and the amplitude of an electromagnetic wave?

No, the amplitude of an electromagnetic wave is not affected by the mass or velocity of an object. The amplitude is determined by the energy of the source of the wave and the distance from the source.