How Does Spin-Dependent Chemical Potential Generate a Spin Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of a pure spin current using the Landauer approach and a spin bias modeled as a difference in spin-dependent chemical potentials at the interface of two metals. The concept of chemical potential is explained as a way to minimize potential and create flow, similar to how it would work for spintronics. The example of a ferromagnetic material is also mentioned as a potential application of this concept.
amjad-sh
Hello
In a paper I am working we have a two metal connected to each other,
Within the ballistic approximation we adopt the Landauer approach and generate a pure spin current by
applying a spin bias that is modeled as difference of spin-dependent chemical potentials across the interface.
Can somebody who has knowledge about spintronics explain to me the how difference of spin dependent chemical potential across the interface can generate a spin current?
THANKS
Capture.PNG

This is the paper I'm working on

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.2 KB · Views: 501
  • 1706.04797 (1).pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 313
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know nothing about spintronics, but the chemical potential comes from thermodynamics, and as every potential, it says basically that at equilibrium, you would minimize this potential, and if you have a species with a higher chemical potential, for example, two different gases separated by a wall, then, if you remove the barrier, you would have a flow, and a mix of particles in order to minimize the chemical potential. For spins, I suppose it is analogous. I imagine, that, for example you have some ferromagnetic material, so the domains interact, and the spins points up or down, in order to minimize some sort of potential. But its only speculation (I haven't read the attachment neither).

Likes amjad-sh

1. What is spin current?

Spin current refers to the flow of particles with a spin, such as electrons, in a material. It is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and can be described as the spin component of an electric current.

2. How is spin current created?

Spin current can be created through various methods, such as applying an electric field or temperature gradient to a material, or using magnetic materials to induce a spin current. It can also be generated through spin-polarized optical excitation or spin pumping.

3. What are the potential applications of spin current?

Spin current has potential applications in fields such as spintronics, quantum computing, and magnetic memory devices. It is also being studied for its potential use in energy-efficient electronics, as well as in understanding the behavior of quantum materials.

4. How is spin current different from traditional electric current?

While electric current involves the flow of charge, spin current involves the flow of spin. This means that spin current can exist even in materials that are not conductive for traditional electric current, and it can also have different properties and behaviors.

5. What are the current challenges in creating and controlling spin current?

One of the main challenges in creating and controlling spin current is achieving efficient and reliable methods for generating and manipulating it. Another challenge is understanding and controlling the interactions between spin current and other properties such as magnetic fields, heat, and defects in materials.