1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creation operator and eigenvalues

1. Jun 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the creation operator [itex]a_+ [/itex] has no eigenvalues, for instance in the [itex]\vert n \rangle [/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    Action of [itex]a_+ [/itex] in a harmonic oscillator eigenket [itex]\vert n \rangle [/itex]:
    [itex] a_+\vert n \rangle =\vert n +1\rangle [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Calling a the eigenvalues of [itex]a_+ [/itex]
    [itex]a_+ \vert \Psi \rangle = a \vert \Psi \rangle = a \sum c_n \vert n \rangle = \sum a c_n \vert n \rangle[/itex]
    [itex]a_+ \vert \Psi \rangle = a_+ \sum c_n \vert n \rangle = \sum c_n a_+ \vert n \rangle = \sum c_n\vert n+1\rangle = \sum c_{n-1}\vert n\rangle[/itex]

Equating both
    [itex]a_+ \vert \Psi \rangle = \sum a c_n \vert n \rangle= \sum c_{n-1}\vert n\rangle[/itex]

We have
    [itex]a c_n = c_{n-1}[/itex].

I think I can take the a factor out and then claim that eigenkets have to be linearly dependent, so their coefficients cannot be proportional to each other.

However, I am not sure that this does prove that the creation operatro has no eigenvalues.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2014 #2
    Hi,
    ##a=1=c_n=c_{n-1}=...## is a solution of the equations for the coefficients. What happens when ##a_+## is applied on ##|\Psi>=|n>+|n-1>+...+|n-m>##?

4. Jun 28, 2014 #3
    We get ##a_+|\Psi\rangle=|n+1>+|n\rangle+...+|n-m+1\rangle##. If the set of eigenvalues for the oscilator Hamiltonian is infinite (and it is, right?) the sum remains the same except for ##\vert 0 \rangle##, which becomes ##\vert 1 \rangle ##. Since this is the new ground state we have transformed the oscillator eigenkets into eigenkets for an oscillator with ##\hbar \omega ## more energy. Is that so?

What now? I don't know what do you mean.

5. Jun 28, 2014 #4
    Yes but you are more interested in eigenvector to express ##|\Psi>##.

Yes and what is ##a|\Psi>## with a=1 in the basis ##\{|i>\}##?

No, it's just some algebra to show that there is no vector ##|\Psi>## such that ##a_+|\Psi>=a|\Psi>##. The example with a=1 is just a simple example to see what happens.

If you add the bounds to the sums in your attempt at a solution you will see that there is a problem.

6. Jun 28, 2014 #5
    What do you mean with the bounds?

7. Jun 28, 2014 #6
    Sorry for the delay. I will try another way: you expended ##|\Psi>## on the basis ##\{|n>:n=0,1,...\}##. On one hand you multiplied it by a and you obtained ##a|\Psi>## on that basis. On the other hand you applied ##a_+## on it and you obtained ##a_+|\Psi>## on the same basis ##\{|n>:n=0,1,...\}##. For the two vectors obtained to be equal the coefficients must be equal for all basis vectors. Your result ##a c_n=c_{n-1}## cannot hold for all n, do you see why?

8. Jun 28, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try writing out the first few terms of each summation.

9. Jun 28, 2014 #8
    Wow, why do you apologyze? You're helping me! I really appreciate it, no matter how long does it take.
    I've just realized that ##\hat{a}^{\dagger}\vert n \rangle = \sqrt{n} \vert n \rangle ##, so my recursion formula should've been ## c_n a = c_{n-1} \sqrt{n} ##.

Anyway, I don't see what's the deal with it. Is it with the ground state? It is 0 in one expansion and ##c_0 a ## in the other one.

10. Jun 28, 2014 #9
    Exactly. And they have to be the same, so...?

11. Jun 28, 2014 #10
    So ##c_0## is zero and so are all others. Thank you!

12. Jun 28, 2014 #11
    Some clean up is needed(what if a=0? what if ##c_0##,...,##c_i##=0?) but you get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted