Creativity Book Pulled Due to Creative Quotes

The nonfiction book "Imagine: How Creativity Works" by Jonah Lehrer, which explores the topic of creativity, is being pulled from retailers due to fabricated quotes from musician Bob Dylan. The author, in a statement from his publisher, admitted to lying to journalist Michael Moynihan when questioned about the authenticity of the quotes. He initially claimed they were from archival interview footage provided by Dylan's representatives, but later admitted to lying and making up the quotes.
zoobyshoe
Creativity Book Pulled Due to "Creative" Quotes

Jonah Lehrer's nonfiction book "Imagine: How Creativity Works" is being pulled from retailers following the disclosure that the author fabricated quotes from Bob Dylan.

The book's publisher, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, provided a statement from Mr. Lehrer in which the author acknowledged having lied to journalist Michael Moynihan after Mr. Moynihan questioned the authenticity of some of Mr. Dylan's quotes as they appeared in "Imagine."

"Three weeks ago, I received an email from journalist Michael Moynihan asking about Bob Dylan quotes in my book 'Imagine,' " said Mr. Lehrer in his statement. "The quotes in question either did not exist, were unintentional misquotations, or represented improper combinations of previously existing quotes. "But I told Mr. Moynihan that they were from archival interview footage provided to me by Dylan's representatives. This was a lie spoken in a moment of panic. When Mr. Moynihan followed up, I continued to lie, and say things I should not have said." ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444226904577559322045607092.html

Physics news on Phys.org

How ironic.

What is the "Creativity Book Pulled Due to Creative Quotes"?

The "Creativity Book Pulled Due to Creative Quotes" is a book that was recently published but had to be pulled from shelves due to the use of quotes that were not properly attributed or were taken from other sources without permission.

Why was the book pulled from shelves?

The book was pulled from shelves because it contained quotes that were not properly attributed or obtained without permission from their original sources. This is considered plagiarism and is a violation of intellectual property laws.

Who is responsible for the book's content?

The author of the book is ultimately responsible for the content, including the use of quotes. However, the publisher also has a responsibility to ensure that all content is properly attributed and obtained with permission.

Will the book be re-released with proper attribution?

It is not clear at this time if the book will be re-released with proper attribution. The author and publisher may choose to make the necessary changes and re-release the book, or they may decide to cancel the publication altogether.

What should other authors and publishers learn from this situation?

This situation serves as a reminder for authors and publishers to always properly attribute and obtain permission for any quotes or content used in their works. It is important to respect the intellectual property of others and avoid plagiarism.