Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Credit at PF

1. Apr 21, 2012 #1

I like Serena

Homework Helper

The mentors at PF obviously deserve some credit for being at PF.
    But as it is, only non-mentors get credits.

Shouldn't mentors get credit at being particularly good at homework helping, or math, or physics, or chemistry, (or banning ;) or whatnot?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2012 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Lol, I think it would be hard to argue with a system that praises mentors :tongue: that said are you referring to the recognition system and PF awards?

4. Apr 21, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Not necessarily.

I just see that mentors, when promoted, lose all their credits.
    And afterwards, there do not seem to be any credits at all.

Seems to me it kind of sucks to become a mentor.
    Hence my suggestion.

I haven't been invited to become a mentor, but it's kind of hard to see the upside, even if I was.

5. Apr 21, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Mentors don't lose anything, see any retired Mentor (like Monique, Moonbear, Kurdt) - all badges are back. They are just not displayed while Mentor is a Mentor.

6. Apr 21, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Okay.
    Just as an alternative suggestion, shouldn't those badges be displayed while being a mentor?

7. Apr 21, 2012 #6

Evo

I don't know of any mentors that really care about additional "badges". Mentors are responsible for the day to day functions of the forum to try to keep it running smoothly and a pleasant experience for members. We give Greg input which helps him determine forum policy. That *is* our recognition.

Badges were created for members that either have exhibited a consistently high level of knowledge - SAs, or that have been consistently helpful and accurate in the homework section - HHs.

8. Apr 21, 2012 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

When I see an abstract mathematical problem, sometimes I don't respond, since I know there's a mentor who is more qualified who will probably respond.
    Similarly with physics problems, I already know which mentor will probably respond and who is more qualified.
    And also with electronical problems, there's a name that springs to my mind (not a mentor yet).
    And so on.

It's just that all of these people do not get any credits as far as I can tell.

9. Apr 21, 2012 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I suspect these mentors would not ask for it, but would appreciate some recognition.

10. Apr 21, 2012 #9

Evo

Being promoted to Mentor is the highest form of recognition, IMO.

What means a lot to mentors is an occasional "thank you" from someone we've helped, but we don't expect it.

11. Apr 21, 2012 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The reason the SA and HH award are set up is not only to award the people receiving it. But it is also to make clear to posters that these are the people who are trustworthy.

That is, if I see an SA or a HH making a post, then I generally trust that what they say is true (most of the time) and that they're dedicated to this community.

If you look at it thay way, then mentors satisfy this criteria anyway. They are naturally dedicated to this community. And they wouldn't have been chosen if they weren't trustworthy.

And besides, I don't think any mentor misses his badge that much to make a fuss about it. :tongue2:

12. Apr 21, 2012 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not getting hate mail is already nice enough for me :biggrin:

13. Apr 21, 2012 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

14. Apr 21, 2012 #13
    As Evo said, the mentor badge is of the highest order :)

15. Apr 21, 2012 #14

Borek

And the simplest way to demote a Mentor in such a way he can't complain is to make him an Admin.

16. Apr 21, 2012 #15

Evo

You're a mentor with extra chores. I must say you handle the blue hair well. :tongue2:

17. Apr 21, 2012 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Still, I do miss my "Sarcastic" badge.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook