1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Credits question

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    I found out that my prospective university grants 3 credits for 100-level Comp. Sci. courses for completing AP Comp. Sci. However, all first-year courses are worth four credits. Does this serve any purpose then, besides just having it count for your total required credits for graduation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2
    It may mean that you are exempt from having to take the course but they only give you 3 credits instead of 4 so they make more money. Or it could mean that you dont get credit for taking the course but you get 3 "general" credits (i.e. you still may have to take the course but you have some credit that helps you towards your degree). It all depends on the university. I have had the latter happen to me and it sucks but oh well. It just means that you have an easier time with the course :)

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    Yeah, I think it's the latter. Since I don't think I'll be having any trouble getting enough credits, and I already know some programming I think I'm not going to take the AP course.

Thank you for the answer.

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4
    If I were you I would send an email to the university. If you can get exempt from the course it may be worth it.

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    I already did. They said it just provided general credits, I just wasn't sure what that implied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook