Does Completing AP Comp Sci Provide Benefits for 100-Level Courses?

• Thread starter Hypercubes
  • Start date
In summary, when completing AP Comp. Sci., prospective universities may grant 3 credits for 100-level courses. However, this may not exempt students from taking the course and they may only receive 3 general credits instead of the usual 4. It ultimately depends on the university's policies. It may be beneficial to contact the university for clarification on the purpose of these credits.
Hypercubes
I found out that my prospective university grants 3 credits for 100-level Comp. Sci. courses for completing AP Comp. Sci. However, all first-year courses are worth four credits. Does this serve any purpose then, besides just having it count for your total required credits for graduation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It may mean that you are exempt from having to take the course but they only give you 3 credits instead of 4 so they make more money. Or it could mean that you don't get credit for taking the course but you get 3 "general" credits (i.e. you still may have to take the course but you have some credit that helps you towards your degree). It all depends on the university. I have had the latter happen to me and it sucks but oh well. It just means that you have an easier time with the course :)

Yeah, I think it's the latter. Since I don't think I'll be having any trouble getting enough credits, and I already know some programming I think I'm not going to take the AP course.

Thank you for the answer.

If I were you I would send an email to the university. If you can get exempt from the course it may be worth it.

I already did. They said it just provided general credits, I just wasn't sure what that implied.

What is AP Comp Sci and how does it relate to 100-level courses?

AP Comp Sci stands for Advanced Placement Computer Science, which is a high school course that covers introductory computer science concepts. Completing AP Comp Sci can provide students with a strong foundation in computer science, which can be beneficial for success in 100-level college courses that cover similar topics.

What specific benefits can completing AP Comp Sci provide for 100-level courses?

Completing AP Comp Sci can provide students with a deeper understanding of computer science concepts, improved problem-solving skills, and familiarity with coding languages such as Java. These skills can make it easier for students to grasp and excel in 100-level courses that cover similar material.

Do all colleges accept AP Comp Sci credit for 100-level courses?

No, every college has its own policies regarding AP credit. Some may accept AP Comp Sci credit as equivalent to a 100-level course, while others may only accept it as elective credit. It is important to check with individual colleges for their specific policies.

Can completing AP Comp Sci help me place out of 100-level courses in college?

Yes, some colleges may allow students who have completed AP Comp Sci to place out of certain 100-level computer science courses. This can save students time and money, as they will not have to take these courses in college.

Are there any other benefits to completing AP Comp Sci for 100-level courses?

Yes, completing AP Comp Sci can also demonstrate to college admissions officers that a student is dedicated and motivated to pursue computer science. This can be beneficial for college applications and may even lead to opportunities for internships or other experiences in the field of computer science.