Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creep and Fatigue Life

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    How does shot peening help improve fatigue life, or rather, how does the compressive surface stress imposed help improve fatigue life?

How does materials having high elastic moduli and large grain size prevent creep?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We won't just give you the answers to homework-type questions at PF (that way nobody would learn anything), but if you give proposed answers and try to justify them, you'll likely get comments.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    It's not a homework question, but I have no idea of how to prove it to you. It's something that was mentioned in my notes, and I tried checking Wikipedia and my recommended textbook, but I still do not understand those two points.

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me try answering this way...

What is fatigue, and what stress state does it involve?

What is the atomic mechanism of creep? How might this mechanism be affected when the atoms are more strongly bound (which is how materials acquire high stiffness, or elastic modulus), or when there are fewer grain boundaries (look up Coble creep)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook