Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creep and Static Fatigue

1. Nov 13, 2005 #1
    What is the difference between these two phenomena? Or are they the same thing?

I have heard both terms used in different classes, but they seem to be the same or similar.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

Static fatigue is a term limited to ceramics and glasses. The loading is similar to a standard creep test i.e. static tensile load, but the failure is usually dependent on water vapor being present in the air.

According to my trusty materials handbook, the mechanism for failure is similar to stress corrosion cracking of metals. It also states that this mode of failure will not occur in a vacuum.
  4. Nov 14, 2005 #3
    Ok, then static fatigue in ceramics is actually referring to failure by cracking due to residual/constant stresses. Then plastic deformation is not a consideration here.

Do glasses and ceramics exhibit creep at all?
  5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

Glasses and ceramics (e.g. concrete) do creep. The creep rate is very, very slow.

If one looks at old glass from the 1700's and 1800's, one may notice a ripple effect. This is due to very slow flow - mm/decades or mm/centuries.

Concrete under compression will flow.
  6. Dec 9, 2005 #5

Fatigue also occurs in metals such as aluminium. Cracking is mostly caused by the loading and unloading of forces.
  7. Dec 12, 2011 #6
    actually it the rate is much slower, old glass ripples is almost always due to manufacture/nonsupercooled fluidity related phenomena
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?