Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crepes for Protein?

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was thinking of getting a little more protein in my diet, and egg whites occurred to me, they are almost solid good protein, and low in fat and calories too.

Now crepes are made of eggs, flour and milk. If I use skim milk and just the whites of the eggs, and regular flour, can I even make crepes with this combo? Anybody know? My current skim milk crepes made with whole eggs have a bad tendency to burn at the edges before the middle cooks through, which is a disaster. BTW I use olive oil instead of butter in the pan.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd give it a go. I'd say it would work just the same.

Any particular reason for wanting to have a higher protein intake?

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like uneven heating in the pan, and perhaps given the contour of the pan, the crepe is thicker in the middle.

I don't like skim milk for cooking, and 2% still seems too thin. Whites of eggs only would give very light crepes IMO, but it would probably work. Give it try.

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Depending on your location, you may get more bang for the buck by incorporating salmon into your diet. Salmon is relatively inexpensive here, compared to decent cuts of meat. It has good taste and it's high in Omega 3 fatty acids, which are said to have considerable health benefits, including lowering cholesterol, reducing inflammation in blood vessels, and perhaps reducing the effects of asthma, arthritis, colitis, and some cancers.

6. Sep 5, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

We get salmon fillets in the market here in Wisconsin, but they aren't cheap like along the coast, and I don't use them. Occasionally tuna goes on sale. I take a supplement for the omega-3 acids.

The reason I want to increase the level of protein is that my present diet, 18 meals out of 21, consists of vegetables fruits, and cereals, and maybe a little cheddar cheese. During the winter months I eat a fair amount of beans, but this time of year I repace them with berries. The cheese doesn't give me enough protein and the other three meals, which usually include meat, aren't giving me enough per week either, in my careful opinion - sensible sites online tell me that for my body weight I should be eating a little more protein than I do.

Uneven heating in the pan is a good possibility for my bad results; I have an electric stove. I had a long discussion with a lady in a food implement store and she suggested I brush the pan with oil before cooking crepes, even though it's non-stick. I'll try the whole thing next week.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  7. Sep 5, 2006 #6

Nothing better than sushi.

8. Sep 5, 2006 #7

turbo

Gold Member

I agree, and Atlantic salmon and Bluefin tuna (both available in Maine) are both wonderful.

9. Sep 5, 2006 #8
    :tongue2: .

10. Sep 5, 2006 #9
    There is always the eazy solution of buying a whey protein powder :)

How many extra grams of protein each day do you aim to eat?

11. Sep 5, 2006 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'd rather have something I can make. The only reason I use a fish oil supplement is that real ocean caught fish is too expensive for me here in the midwest (I live on social security). Additional protein? I'd say about 30-40 or so grams a day.

12. Sep 5, 2006 #11
    I thought of whey because there are recepies around on baking and increasing protein content by adding protein powders. I have never tried it myself though so I cant comment on flavor:rofl:

You could try baking some of the stuff in the recepies section of this forum. Loads of good stuff there and since they are following a high protein low carb approach to dieting just about everything in there is high protein.

http://www.proteinpower.com/forum/

If you can stomach it canned tuna can be found real cheap. But in general the cheaper the can the more unrecognisable bits and pieces is in it and the worse it smells :grumpy: There is no other source of protein with a lower cost per gram of protein.

One liter of milk or yoghurt contains 35g protein btw. If you are not trying to restrict carbs and isnt lactose intollerant that might be the cheapest and simplest way to add high quality protein to your diet.

13. Sep 5, 2006 #12

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not a fan of protein powders anymore.

I prefer to eat all my protein. It's not that hard like everyone makes it out to be. When I make my pita, it has 40 grams of protein in it. That's quite a lot. My breakfast has like 35 grams of protein. In two meals, I'm almost at 100 grams!

14. Sep 5, 2006 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

An oddity I discovered yesterday: a Starbucks Venti Mocha Frappucino Lite (made with low fat milk) has 138 calories and 11 grams of protein. That's actually not too bad.

15. Sep 5, 2006 #14
    That's not what I get from their website. I get 250 calories and 10 grams of protein. One of the "problems" here is the 52 grams of carbohydrates, which IMHO is simply an absurdly high amount.

I mean what is "lite" about 52 grams of carbohydrates?

16. Sep 5, 2006 #15

Evo

"lite" or "light" usually refers to fat content.

This is a typical high calorie, low fat item that they call "light"

Edit: OMG, a "regular" has 400 calories :bugeye:

SA, for what you spend on Starbucks, you could buy some decent high protein food.

17. Sep 5, 2006 #16

Evo

When I was younger,I used to stir a package of Knox gelatin into a glass of V8 juice, a good way to add protein and it's cheap.

Well, I'm finding conflicting information, one source says one envelope is 25 calories and 6 grams of protein, and another says 5 calories and 0 protein. Ok, the 5 calories is not a full packet.

18. Sep 5, 2006 #17
    Something I found out recently is that lentils are very high in protein. They're quite cheap, easy to cook, and pretty tasty. They go well in all kinds of dishes.

19. Sep 5, 2006 #18

Evo

Yep, I eat lentils at least once a week. They're only 50 cents per pound DRY which makes a large potful cooked.

Cooked they have 18 grams of protein per cup, at a cost of maybe a nickel.

20. Sep 5, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmm...lentils are yummy, and you can find so many different recipes for them, including salads that are great for summer when you don't want to eat a lot of hot foods, or soups in winter when you do.

I'm not sure if crepes would taste right without the egg yolk in them. But, it wouldn't hurt to try. They might turn out more like fluffy pancakes though. Waffle batter is made with lots of egg whites.

21. Sep 5, 2006 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Knox should be all protein. So, 25 calories with 6 grams of protein sounds correct. I work in a grocery store, and I remember looking it up because we had some other product with protein in it and I couldn't figure out from where. Then I saw Gelatin in the ingredients, and that's how I discovered Knox.

I'd like to know a cheap way to get protein that doesn't taste so bad. I hate tuna and any kind of fish for that matter. I'm not too interested in Lentils because 18 grams of protein per cup isn't quite high enough.

I eat chicken 3 times a day! It probably costs me $20-25 a week on chicken alone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?