Reading Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander Novels

In summary: I mean, there was that merlin mystery book a few years back, but that was waaaaaaaaaay too hard. apparently even a super team of master puzzle solvers (how's that for a title) got together to try and figure it out and only got halfway there.There are some detective novels that are meant to be difficult to solve, but there are also some that are meant to be easy to solve. Altered Carbon is meant to be difficult to solve.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Anyone into detective novels?

I've read a few of Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels over a few years. I think they're pretty good.

Physics news on Phys.org
Richard Morgan...way cool stuff

EnumaElish said:
Anyone into detective novels?

I've read a few of Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels over a few years. I think they're pretty good.

I use to, at least the classics like Sherlock Holmes. I should probably read something by Mankell, if not only because I live in the same country, but I have lost the will to read crime or general fiction.

00ps double post

Moridin said:
I use to, at least the classics like Sherlock Holmes. I should probably read something by Mankell, if not only because I live in the same country, but I have lost the will to read crime or general fiction.
Yeah, where is your patriotism? :smile:

I like Wallander because he solves each case by working hard (and eating terribly).

EnumaElish said:
Yeah, where is your patriotism? :smile:

I like Wallander because he solves each case by working hard (and eating terribly).

Is there patriotism from a "fur" in "the wind" ? :rofl:

glondor said:
Richard Morgan...way cool stuff
Altered Carbon is better than "okay"; Market Forces may have been cool but I didn't think it was particularly good.

I've only read Sherlock Holmes a months or so ago... but I thought it was rather enjoyable and probably will look for some more crime novels.

As a kid I was a big fan of "solve them yourself" type crime books. You know, "if you want to do so and so, move to chapter 13" etc. and they had pictures with clues and stuff. I wish they'd make interactive crime/detective novels like that for adults.

anyone know if they make ones like that? like ones that would be hard to figure out. ... I mean, there was that merlin mystery book a few years back, but that was waaaaaaaaaay too hard. apparently even a super team of master puzzle solvers (how's that for a title) got together to try and figure it out and only got halfway there.

1. What is the genre of Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels?

The Kurt Wallander novels by Henning Mankell are crime fiction, specifically in the sub-genre of Scandinavian noir.

2. How many books are in the Kurt Wallander series?

There are 10 books in the Kurt Wallander series by Henning Mankell. The series begins with "Faceless Killers" and ends with "The Troubled Man".

3. Are the Kurt Wallander novels a standalone series or do they need to be read in order?

While each book in the Kurt Wallander series can be read as a standalone, it is recommended to read them in order as there are ongoing character developments and plotlines throughout the series.

4. What makes the Kurt Wallander novels stand out in the crime fiction genre?

The Kurt Wallander novels are known for their gritty and realistic portrayal of crime and the criminal justice system. The main character, Kurt Wallander, is also a flawed and complex protagonist, making the series more than just a typical detective story.

5. Are there any adaptations of the Kurt Wallander novels?

Yes, there have been multiple adaptations of the Kurt Wallander novels, including a Swedish television series and a British television series starring Kenneth Branagh as Kurt Wallander. There have also been several film adaptations and a graphic novel adaptation.