1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crime Scene Problem

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1
    I was thinking up a physics problem and could someone help me find the answer to it.

Someone has committed suicided at a crime scene and this is what they know.

Knowns
    Mass of Bullet: 0.05 kg
    Velocity of Bullet: 1500 m/s
    Acceleration of Bullet: -3.08 m/s2
    Acceleration due to gravity: 9.80 m/s2
    Unknowns
    T=?
    Fp=?

What is the velocity of the bullet the instant it enters the victims head if the gun is held 0.2 meters away?

/i\Fn=4.9 x 10-1
    l
    <-------------l----->Fp= ? N
    l
    \l/ Fg= 4.9 x 10-1

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I take it your "Acceleration of Bullet: -3.08 m/s2" is horizontal decelleration due to air resistance?

Horizontally, v= 1500- 3.08 t m/s
    x= 1500t- 1.54t2 m (distance bullet has gone)

Just as the bullet is "entering the victim's head", x= 1500- 15.4t2= 0.2
    Solve for x to find t.

Vertically, v= -9.8 t

Knowing t, you can solve from the horizontal and vertical components of the bullet's velocity and then use Pythagoras to find the speed of the bullet.

4. Nov 17, 2004 #3
    I'd concider the velocity of the bullet to be 1500 m/s. 0,2 m is way to short a distance for any signifficant change in velocity given a retardation of only 3,08 m/s^2.

Just don't you go do anything stupid..

5. Nov 17, 2004 #4
    I'd concider the retardation to be along the direction of the bullets' motion. It's an iteresting problem, still I think there's to little information to say anything more precise than ~1500 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook