Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crimped loop

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1
    hello all
    i was wandering if any one can help resolve a debate a friend and i were having.
    in the case of a wire rope end being looped and crimped then attatched to a weight are the forces on both sides of the loop equal if not what is the ratio and what forces is the crimp subject to?
    any help much appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi stevenevets ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The tension along a wire should be constant, with the following exceptions:

if the wire is heavy enough, the tension near the top will be slightly greater, since the wire there has to support the weight of the wire below (which the wire below doesn't)

if the wire passes over an object which causes a friction force on the wire, then the tension will be different on either sides of the object.

I don't know what you mean by "crimp". :confused: But the forces on a join in the wire should depend on the angle at which the ends join. :smile:
  4. Jul 9, 2008 #3
    This is difficult because there are so many variations of "crimping", and of the wire types being crimped.

In general, though, a crimp will act under stress to have equal or usually less elasticity than the wire(or rope) joined. This is a default aspect, as otherwise the union would be insufficient under stress.

In your case, the assymetric nature of the elasticity will tend towards a shifting to elastic equllibrium starting FROM the nodal point of less elasticity.

Take your thought experiment and shift it from vertical to horizontal, and apply an equal expansion force. The crimped section does not move fully outwards, but rather a distorted expansion is noted.

During this event, the center of mass is not altered, but the object distorts, perhaps even shockingly, to preseve the center of mass.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?