Isomorphism Criteria in Linear Algebra

In summary, the criteria for isomorphism in linear algebra is that the linear transformation must be injective and the zero vector must be in the set of solutions for the transformation.
frasifrasi
Can anyone tell me clearly what the criteria for isomorphism in linear algebra is?

For instance, my book gives the following reason:

Transformation T is not isomoprhic because T((t-1)(t-3)) = T(t^2 - 4t +3) = zero vector.

I don't get why this means T is not an isomorphism. Can anyone explain?

PS. T is a transformation from P_2 to R^(3).

the actual T is: T(f(t)) =

f(1)
f'(2)
f(3)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let V and W be vector spaces. A linear transformation T:V->W is an isomorphism if it's bijective. That's basically the definition.

It's easy to show a linear transformation is injective iff kerT = {0}.

So in your example, T(polynomial) = 0 ,but polynomial != 0, so T is not injective, so it certainly can't be an isomorphism.

Last edited:
so, it is not injective if the polynomial is not equal to 0?
How does the statement
"T((t-1)(t-3)) = T(t^2 - 4t +3) = zero vector."
show this?

frasifrasi said:
so, it is not injective if the polynomial is not equal to 0?
How does the statement
"T((t-1)(t-3)) = T(t^2 - 4t +3) = zero vector."
show this?

because that implies t^2 - 4t + 3 is in kerT, so kerT != {0}, so T is not injective.

Oh, I see; you mean the only solution for the T has to be 0 and in this case there are more?

Last edited:
frasifrasi said:
Oh, I see; you mean the only solution for the T has to be 0 and in this case there are more?

i'll show all the steps once more,

We know T(t^2 - 4t + 3) = 0, so t^2 - 4t + 3 is in kerT, and since t^2 - 4t + 3 is not the zero polynomial we know kerT contains a nonzero element, so kerT != {0}, so T is not injective. (this last part is because T is injective iff kerT = {0})

Where exactly did I lose you?

I was just asking for confirmation. So, the isomorphism exists only if ker = 0 and if you can write a formula for the inverse, correct? thanks!

1. What is the definition of isomorphism?

Isomorphism refers to the concept of two or more objects having the same structure or form, even though they may have different elements or components.

2. How do you determine if two objects are isomorphic?

In order to determine if two objects are isomorphic, you must compare their structures and see if they can be mapped onto each other without altering their relationships or properties.

3. What are the criteria for isomorphism?

The criteria for isomorphism include having the same number of elements or components, the same types of elements or components, and the same relationships or properties between those elements or components.

4. Can two objects be isomorphic even if they have different physical appearances?

Yes, two objects can be isomorphic even if they have different physical appearances. Isomorphism is based on the underlying structure of objects, not their physical appearance.

5. Are there different types of isomorphism?

Yes, there are different types of isomorphism, including geometric isomorphism, algebraic isomorphism, and group isomorphism. Each type has its own specific criteria and applications.