What criteria determine the type of mathematical operator used in a formula?

• Thread starter electrous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Criteria
In summary, the conversation discusses the formula W=F(m) where W represents weight and m represents mass. The function f is defined as multiplication in this formula, but the question asks if there are other possible mathematical operators that could be used. The response explains that addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division are all dyadic operators that can relate two operands, but the functional notation f(x) is used to represent the relationship between weight and mass in this formula. The questioner expresses confusion and the responder suggests that it may be due to confusion between implicit multiplication and functional notation.
electrous
we have ,
W=F(m)
here W is function of m
how do we define the fuction f as only as multiplication if this formula represent weight of the body. is there any criteria for mathmatical oprators to be addition, subtraction , multiplecation or division pleasezz explian.. :cry:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, weight is a vector, and the operation with m (where m is mass, which is a scalar) is m * g, where g is the local acceleration due to gravity, a vector. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (+, -, *, /) are dyadic operators which 'operate or provide a relationship between 'two' operands.

Please refer to -
http://www.maxonline.lsu.edu/pages/MFguide/Algebraic/Algebraic.pdf

in equatiion W=f(m), the function can be successfully expressed as +ve, -ve, multiplicion and its inverse, then my question is why we consider function f as multipliction and why not others.
your reply about "how to know ", I like it.
sir if we consider the function as +ve , we get a new value of f which will satisfy all conditions , this will have happen in all cases.
I want , I think there must be a criteria,to know about it.

electrous said:
we have ,
W=F(m)
here W is function of m
how do we define the fuction f as only as multiplication if this formula represent weight of the body. is there any criteria for mathmatical oprators to be addition, subtraction , multiplecation or division pleasezz explian.. :cry:

I don't think we can explain, as the question doesn't make any sense.

matt grime said:
I don't think we can explain, as the question doesn't make any sense.

My best guess is confusion between the implicit multiplication (x)(y) and the functional notation f(x). :confused:

1. What are the criteria for operators in a scientific experiment?

The criteria for operators in a scientific experiment include having a thorough understanding of the experimental procedure, being trained and qualified to perform the experiment, and following established protocols and safety measures.

2. How important are the criteria for operators in ensuring accurate and reliable results?

The criteria for operators are crucial in ensuring accurate and reliable results in a scientific experiment. They help to minimize human error and ensure consistency in the execution of the experiment, leading to more reliable and valid data.

3. Are there any specific qualifications or training required for operators in a scientific experiment?

Yes, operators in a scientific experiment should have the necessary qualifications and training related to the specific experiment they are conducting. This may include education in the relevant field, experience in similar experiments, and knowledge of laboratory procedures and equipment.

4. What role do the criteria for operators play in the reproducibility of scientific experiments?

The criteria for operators are essential in ensuring the reproducibility of scientific experiments. By following established protocols and procedures, different operators can obtain similar results, increasing the reliability and validity of the experiment.

5. Can the criteria for operators vary depending on the type of experiment or research being conducted?

Yes, the criteria for operators may vary depending on the type of experiment or research being conducted. For example, operators in a chemistry experiment may require different qualifications and training compared to those in a psychology experiment. It is important to have specific criteria for each experiment to ensure accuracy and safety.