Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Criteria for oprators

1. May 23, 2007 #1
    we have ,
    here W is function of m
    how do we define the fuction f as only as multiplication if this formula represent weight of the body. is there any criteria for mathmatical oprators to be addition, subtraction , multiplecation or division plzzz explian.. :cry:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well, weight is a vector, and the operation with m (where m is mass, which is a scalar) is m * g, where g is the local acceleration due to gravity, a vector. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (+, -, *, /) are dyadic operators which 'operate or provide a relationship between 'two' operands.

Please refer to -
  4. May 25, 2007 #3
    in equatiion W=f(m), the function can be successfully expressed as +ve, -ve, multiplicion and its inverse, then my question is why we consider function f as multipliction and why not others.
    your reply about "how to know ", I like it.
    sir if we consider the function as +ve , we get a new value of f which will satisfy all conditions , this will have happen in all cases.
    I want , I think there must be a criteria,to know about it.
  5. May 25, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think we can explain, as the question doesn't make any sense.
  6. May 25, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My best guess is confusion between the implicit multiplication (x)(y) and the functional notation f(x). :confused:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?