1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Criteria for oprators

1. May 23, 2007 #1
    we have ,
    W=F(m)
    here W is function of m
    how do we define the fuction f as only as multiplication if this formula represent weight of the body. is there any criteria for mathmatical oprators to be addition, subtraction , multiplecation or division plzzz explian.. :cry:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well, weight is a vector, and the operation with m (where m is mass, which is a scalar) is m * g, where g is the local acceleration due to gravity, a vector. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division (+, -, *, /) are dyadic operators which 'operate or provide a relationship between 'two' operands.

Please refer to -
    http://www.maxonline.lsu.edu/pages/MFguide/Algebraic/Algebraic.pdf

4. May 25, 2007 #3
    in equatiion W=f(m), the function can be successfully expressed as +ve, -ve, multiplicion and its inverse, then my question is why we consider function f as multipliction and why not others.
    your reply about "how to know ", I like it.
    sir if we consider the function as +ve , we get a new value of f which will satisfy all conditions , this will have happen in all cases.
    I want , I think there must be a criteria,to know about it.

5. May 25, 2007 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think we can explain, as the question doesn't make any sense.

6. May 25, 2007 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My best guess is confusion between the implicit multiplication (x)(y) and the functional notation f(x). :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?