Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical angle

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    Greetings,
    Do we use Absloute refractive index when finding crtical angle ?

if it was two mediums ( not vacuum or air) how would i calculate the critical angle ? I mean i get confused when I find relative refractive index because sometimes i get sine inverse greater than 1 which give no solution .

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Snell's law reads as ##n_1 \sin{\theta_1} = n_2 \sin{\theta_2} ##. Now if we assume ##n_1## to be greater than ##n_2## and ##\theta_2 = 90^0##, what will you end up with?
    What can you then conclude for the requirement for ##n_1## and ##n_2## so that total internal reflection which is associated with critical angle can take place?

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3
    it will end up with ##n_1 \sin{\theta_1} = n_2 ? , n1 is denser than n2 since its greater than
    I know the fact that critical angle occurs only from denser medium to less dense , and that's why I get confused when I find relative refractive index

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you had known this, then why would you get sine inverse greater than one when calculating a critical angle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook