1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical angle

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    Greetings,
    Do we use Absloute refractive index when finding crtical angle ?

if it was two mediums ( not vacuum or air) how would i calculate the critical angle ? I mean i get confused when I find relative refractive index because sometimes i get sine inverse greater than 1 which give no solution .

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Snell's law reads as ##n_1 \sin{\theta_1} = n_2 \sin{\theta_2} ##. Now if we assume ##n_1## to be greater than ##n_2## and ##\theta_2 = 90^0##, what will you end up with?
    What can you then conclude for the requirement for ##n_1## and ##n_2## so that total internal reflection which is associated with critical angle can take place?

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3
    it will end up with ##n_1 \sin{\theta_1} = n_2 ? , n1 is denser than n2 since its greater than
    I know the fact that critical angle occurs only from denser medium to less dense , and that's why I get confused when I find relative refractive index

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you had known this, then why would you get sine inverse greater than one when calculating a critical angle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook