1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Damped motion

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution of the damped SHM equation(5.9) for the special case of critical damping , that is , when K = [tex]\Omega[/tex]. Show that , if the particle is initially relaeased from rest at x= a , then the subsequent motion is given by

x=a*(e^-([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t))*(1+[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t)

2. Relevant equations

x''+2Kx'+([tex]\Omega[/tex])2*x=0
    x=A*cos([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t) + B*sin([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t)

3. The attempt at a solution

x=e[tex]\lambda[/tex]*t

x'= [tex]\lambda[/tex]*e[tex]\lambda[/tex]*t

x''=[tex]\lambda[/tex]2*e[tex]\lambda[/tex]*t

x'= -A*[tex]\Omega[/tex]*sin([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t) + B*[tex]\Omega[/tex]*cos([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t)

x''= -A*[tex]\Omega[/tex]2*cos([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t) - B*[tex]\Omega[/tex]2*sin([tex]\Omega[/tex]*t)

Not sure how to proceed...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take a look at the characteristic polynomial of the DE:

[tex]x''(t)+2 \Omega x'(t) + \Omega ^2 x(t)=0 \Rightarrow \lambda ^2 +2 \Omega \lambda + \Omega ^2 =0[/tex]

where [tex] \lambda ^n x(t) \equiv \frac{d^n x(t)}{dt^n}[/tex].

What are the solutions for [itex]\lambda[/itex]? Are they linearly independent? What does that tell you about the general solution for [itex]x(t)[/itex]?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    That [tex]\lambda[/tex]=-[tex]\Omega[/tex]; its a double root

I remember from my ODE class that if a polynomial had more than two root, then x(t)=c1*e-r1*t+c2-r2*t; Otherwise , if the polynomial has only one solution, then x(t)=c1*e-r1*t+c2*t*e-r1*t

How would I go about showing that x(t)=c1*e-r1*t+c2*t*e-r1*t
    rather than loosely remembering what I learned about the conditions for ODE equations certain solutions

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. Oct 11, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you mean [itex]x(t)=c_1 e^{\lambda_1 t}+c_2te^{\lambda_1 t}=c_1 e^{-\Omega t}+c_2te^{-\Omega t}[/itex]?

If so, you can show this by substituting this general solution into the ODE and showing that it satisfies it.

Then, just use the fact that x(0)=a to show that the specific solution is the one given in the problem.

6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    Should I start off by assuming that the original ODE for a double root is [itex]x(t)=c_1 e^{\lambda_1 t}+c_2te^{\lambda_1 t}=c_1 e^{-\Omega t}+c_2te^{-\Omega t}[/itex]? or do I need to go about proving that I arrived at this solution ?

7. Oct 11, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think you'll need to prove that it's the general solution, the solutions to constant coefficient ODE's are well known and can be found in almost any text on DE's; but you may want to check with your prof to make sure.

8. Oct 11, 2008 #7
    x(0)=a

I think the initial conditions for v is zero as well , since the damped motion is undriven.

x' = -[tex]\Omega[/tex]*a*e-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t + c2*(e-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t-x(0)=a

I think the initial conditions for v is zero as well , since the damped motion is undriven.

x' = -[tex]\Omega[/tex]*a*e-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t + c2*(e-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t*ex(0)=a

x' = -[tex]\Omega[/tex]*a*e-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t + c2*(e-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t-[tex]\Omega[/tex]*t*e*t*[tex]\Omega[/tex]

How would I go about finding c2?

9. Oct 11, 2008 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your last post didn't make much sense.

You can determine [itex]c_1[/itex] by using x(0)=a, and [itex]c_2[/itex] by using x'(0)=0 (since the particle is released from rest at t=0)

10. Oct 11, 2008 #9
    sorry for the confusion , but I was essentially saying what you said in your last post: Should I assume for an undriven damped oscillator , that the initial conditions for x' and x are zero at t=0.

11. Oct 11, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There's no need to assume anything here; you are given the initial conditions:

that means x(t=0)=a and x'(t=0)=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?