Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical density in Early Times

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1

BillSaltLake

Gold Member

What was the total mass energy density at the time of recombination? Has it has it been measured by WMAP? (Edit: I think it's 4.28x10-18kg/m3 from the # of photons/volume in a 2979K blackbody, x baryon:photon ratio x proton mass x (1+ dark:baryon ratio) divided by the 0.755 matter fraction at the time.)

Assuming a flat Universe, in times before dark energy was significant, I think the critical density as a function of time was 3H2/(8 pi G), where
    1) H = 1/(2t) during energy-domination (very early times), and
    2) H = 2/(3t) during matter-domination.
    Thus during matter-domination, the critical density was 1/(6 pi Gt2), and it was 9/16 of that during energy -domination.

I might expect the total energy density (matter + energy) at the time of recombination to be between the matter-dominated and energy-dominated numbers. (Edit: the WMAP appears to be between those numbers. Matter-dominated would be 5.43x10-18kg/m3) However, when I use a differential eq to solve it directly, I'm only getting 0.291 of the matter-dominated value of 1/(6 pi Gt2) where t is the recombination time. (Edit: I don't do math good. Sorry.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't look too closely at your work, but here's how I would approach this:

WMAP has measured Ωm. This matter density parameter is defined as follows:

Ωm ρm(t0) / ρcrit

where t0 means now and

ρcrit ≡ 3H02 / 8πG

We also know that

ρm(t) = ρm(t0)a-3. ​

So now we just need to know the scale factor of the universe at the time of recombination.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Aug 22, 2010 #3

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

1/1090

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook