Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Density

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    Using the FRW:

[tex]
    \left( \frac {\dot{a}} {a} \right)^2 = \frac {8 \pi G \rho} {3} - \frac {k c^2} {a^2}
    [/tex]

We define critical density by setting k = 0 and rearranging to get:

[tex]
    \rho_c = \frac {3 H^2} {8 \pi G}
    [/tex]

Where:

[tex]
    H = \left( \frac {\dot{a}} {a} \right)
    [/tex]

My question is does [tex]\rho[/tex] include the density contribution for Cosmological Constant (dark energy) [tex] \Lambda [/tex] or is this derivation only for a Universe with no cosmological constant?

How does one then actually measure the density of Universe?

I know that the density has been measured to be slightly less than the critical density, but I thought we are meant to live in a flat Universe? Is this due to the cosmological constant and how is this reconciled with [tex]\rho[/tex] not being exactly [tex]\rho_c[/tex]?

Finally, I am right in saying that a Universe with [tex]\rho_c[/tex] will stop expanding after infinite time, one with [tex]\rho > \rho_c[/tex] will collapse back on itself and one with [tex]\rho < \rho_c[/tex] will expand forever?

Many thanks.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, [itex]\rho[/itex] includes contribution from the cosmological constant. In other words, we can write the density as a function of scale factor as
    [tex]
    \rho = \rho_c\left(\Omega_Ma^{-3} + \Omega_Ra^{-4} + \Omega_{\Lambda}\right)
    [/tex]

This is basically correct, although I don't think, "stop expanding after infinite time" is a well-defined notion.

Fit supernova data and/or CMB data to different models and see what works best.

The measurement of [tex]\rho[/tex] is within error of being less than, equal to, or greater than the critical density. People say we live in a "flat universe", because the measured value is very close to the critical density.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook