Calculating Critical Density Using FRW and Its Implications

In summary: This could be due to the cosmological constant and/or other factors. The fact that \rho is not exactly \rho_c could be due to measurement error, or it could be a result of other unknown factors in the universe.
CaptainMarvel
Using the FRW:

[tex]
\left( \frac {\dot{a}} {a} \right)^2 = \frac {8 \pi G \rho} {3} - \frac {k c^2} {a^2}
[/tex]

We define critical density by setting k = 0 and rearranging to get:

[tex]
\rho_c = \frac {3 H^2} {8 \pi G}
[/tex]

Where:

[tex]
H = \left( \frac {\dot{a}} {a} \right)
[/tex]

My question is does [tex]\rho[/tex] include the density contribution for Cosmological Constant (dark energy) [tex] \Lambda [/tex] or is this derivation only for a Universe with no cosmological constant?

How does one then actually measure the density of Universe?

I know that the density has been measured to be slightly less than the critical density, but I thought we are meant to live in a flat Universe? Is this due to the cosmological constant and how is this reconciled with [tex]\rho[/tex] not being exactly [tex]\rho_c[/tex]?

Finally, I am right in saying that a Universe with [tex]\rho_c[/tex] will stop expanding after infinite time, one with [tex]\rho > \rho_c[/tex] will collapse back on itself and one with [tex]\rho < \rho_c[/tex] will expand forever?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Yes, [itex]\rho[/itex] includes contribution from the cosmological constant. In other words, we can write the density as a function of scale factor as
[tex]
\rho = \rho_c\left(\Omega_Ma^{-3} + \Omega_Ra^{-4} + \Omega_{\Lambda}\right)
[/tex]

Finally, I am right in saying that a Universe with [tex]\rho_c[/tex] will stop expanding after infinite time, one with [tex]\rho > \rho_c[/tex] will collapse back on itself and one with [tex]\rho < \rho_c[/tex] will expand forever?
This is basically correct, although I don't think, "stop expanding after infinite time" is a well-defined notion.

How does one then actually measure the density of Universe?
Fit supernova data and/or CMB data to different models and see what works best.

I know that the density has been measured to be slightly less than the critical density, but I thought we are meant to live in a flat Universe? Is this due to the cosmological constant and how is this reconciled with [tex]\rho[/tex] not being exactly [tex]\rho_c[/tex]?
The measurement of [tex]\rho[/tex] is within error of being less than, equal to, or greater than the critical density. People say we live in a "flat universe", because the measured value is very close to the critical density.

Last edited:

1. What is the FRW metric and how is it used in calculating critical density?

The FRW (Friedmann-Robertson-Walker) metric is a mathematical model used to describe the expansion of the universe in terms of time and space. It is used in calculating critical density by incorporating the effects of gravity on the curvature of space-time.

2. How is critical density calculated using the FRW metric?

Critical density is calculated by determining the amount of matter that is required for the expansion of the universe to eventually cease and the universe to reach a state of equilibrium. This is done by using the FRW metric to calculate the critical density parameter, which is the ratio of the average density of the universe to the critical density.

3. What is the significance of critical density in understanding the fate of the universe?

Critical density is significant because it determines the ultimate fate of the universe. If the average density of the universe is greater than the critical density, the universe will eventually collapse in a "Big Crunch." If the average density is less than the critical density, the universe will continue to expand indefinitely. If the average density is equal to the critical density, the universe will reach a state of equilibrium and cease expanding.

4. What are the implications of critical density for the existence of dark matter and dark energy?

The existence of dark matter and dark energy can affect the calculation of critical density, as they contribute to the total mass and energy of the universe. If these components are not taken into account, the calculated critical density may not accurately reflect the true critical density of the universe. Therefore, understanding the implications of critical density is important in studying the presence and behavior of dark matter and dark energy.

5. How does the value of the Hubble constant impact the calculation of critical density using the FRW metric?

The Hubble constant, which represents the rate of expansion of the universe, is a crucial factor in the calculation of critical density using the FRW metric. A higher value for the Hubble constant would result in a lower critical density, meaning that the universe would need less matter to reach a state of equilibrium. Therefore, the value of the Hubble constant can significantly impact the calculation of critical density and our understanding of the fate of the universe.