1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical energy

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A silicon component is irradiated in an accelerator. The oxygen ion beam is pointed in the direction of the shortest dimension of the sensitive volume of the device. The energy required for producing an electron/hole pair in silicon is 3.6 eV. It is found that the highest energy for which SEU (Single-Event Upsets or “soft errors”) is observed is 10 MeV/nucleon. Assume that the shortest dimension of the sensitive volume is 2 µm and that ion energies do not change during traveling.

2. Relevant equations

Ec = ρSi*d*LETm,th

Figure:
    http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/LET_zpsqdevvbpw.png.html

3. The attempt at a solution

ρSi = 2.33 g/cm^2
    d = 2μm

I have trouble to read of the diagram of what LETTh is. If the energy is 10 Mev and if i draw a straight line upward i got the value of 10^0 or 1 LET (Mev * cm^2/mg). In the solution manual the LETTh value is 0.85 why ?

Ec = 2.33*0.0002*0.9/10^-3 = 0.391 Mev

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I get a smaller value, even a bit below 0.85.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
  5. Mar 14, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Using your pixel values for the positions, I get about 0.87. I put it one pixel lower which gave 0.82. It is a log scale, so 15% difference is not much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted