1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical numbers (hard)

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to determine the number of critical numbers for the function (3x-x^3)^(1/3).

2. Relevant equations

Critical numbers are where the derivative of the function is = 0 or does not exist.

Critical numbers must also exist within the domain of the function.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm getting five critical numbers. Wolfram Alpha, however, disagrees, saying there are only 2 critical numbers. Who's right?

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=+(3x-x^3)^(1/3)+critical+numbers

This is my work:

1/3(3x-x^3)^(-2/3)(3-3x^2) = 0

3 - 3x^2 = 0

x = ±1

If x = 0 that will zero the denominator in the term with the negative root, and f'(x) will subsequently fail to exist.

If x = ±√3 that will zero the overall derivative.

All these points do exist on f(x).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to your definition (which includes places where f is not differentiable), there should be 4 critical points: x = ± 1, x= 0 and x = -√3; the derivative = 0 at x = ± 1 and the derivative does not exist at x = 0 or x = -√3. You might argue about x = +√3, but in a sense the derivative *does* exist there, but just happens to equal -∞. Anyway, if you look at critical points as possible maximizing or minimizing points, the four I listed do fulfill that criterion, while the last one (x = √3) does not. Just draw a graph and see for yourself.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3

Qube

Gold Member

Wait, what other definitions are there?

Also I think existence refers to the derivative being a real number, not infinity.

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some books and papers regard derivatives of +∞ or -∞ as "existing" in the extended real number system. Others do not. So, some books would say that ##x = \pm \sqrt{3}## and ##x=0## are _not_ critical points, because the derivative "exists" but is not zero at those points; that is, ##+\infty## and ##-\infty## are not zero. Other books and papers would say that those ARE critical points because the derivative does not exist there. (I made an error before; I was looking at the wrong function. The derivative really does exist in the extended real number system.) To summarize: for some authors, the number of critical points is 2; for other authors it is 5.

BTW: SOME sources define critical numbers to be those values of f where the derivative vanishes; they do not consider points where the derivative fails to exist as a finite number. Those sources would say there are just two critical points, and there would be no need to get fancy with ##+\infty## or ##-\infty##.

I think is fair to say that you should go with whatever definition your textbook and/or course notes prescribe.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted