1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Numbers

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f'(x) = x^2(x-1)^2(x-3)^2, how many local extrema does f(x) have?

2. Relevant equations

Extrema occur at critical points.

Critical points are values of x such that f'(x) = 0 or = ±∞

3. The attempt at a solution

Not all values that zero the derivative are critical points. For example, if the problem had been f'(x) = -1/x^2, 1/x would have been the original function. 0 would seem like a critical point since it causes the derivative to approach negative infinity. However, it cannot be a critical point since 0 is not on the domain of the original function.

Is there any case to worry with this particular problem, however? I don't think so because the derivative appears to be a polynomial and the original function appears to also be a polynomial and polynomials are continuous through all real numbers.

Am I correct? Should I just say the critical points are x = 0, x = 1, and x = 3 and rest assured they exist on the domain of f(x) since f(x) appears to be a polynomial given its polynomial derivative?

----

Also, regardless of the critical numbers, the derivative appears to be all positive throughout its domain, making the discussion of relative extrema moot since there are no changes in the sign of the first derivative. All the terms are squared and we know that any term squared is a positive number.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

The domain is not an issue, right.

Good, as this settles the question about saddle points.

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3

Qube

Gold Member

What's a saddle point? I'm getting something about a stationary point ... what does stationary mean in this context?

5. Nov 1, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A saddle point is a stationary point that is neither a maximum nor a minimum; for example, the point x = 0 is a saddle point of f(x) = x^3.

Anyway, you have missed two other critical points.

6. Nov 1, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Be careful, the function given in the first post is f', not f itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted