1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical pints

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    I have two problems. I posted the first problem before but I still can´t solve it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find and classify the critical points of f(x,y,z) = xy + xz + yz + x^3 + y^3 + z^3

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

df/dx = y + z +3x^2, df/dy = x + z + 3y^2 and df/dz = x + y + 3z^2

a point x is a critacal point if the gradient equals 0.

Obviously (0,0,0) is a critical point but I´m not sure how to find the others.

I know this is symmetric but I cant´t figure out were to go from here??

Here is the second problem:

I have a function from R to R, f(x) = x + 2*x^2*sin(1/x) if x is not 0 and f(x) = 0 if x is 0.
    I´m supposed to show that this is differentable everywhere, that f'(x) is not 0 and that f maps no neighbourhood around the zero point bijective on a neighbourhood around the zero point.

I think I know how to show that this is differentable everywhere, that f'(x) is not 0 but I´m having difficulties with the last one.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    In the first can I subtracct df/dx - df/dy and get y - x - 3x^2 - 3y^2 = 0 which gives
    y(1-3y) = x(1-3x). Therefore x=y and then get that x=z=y??

I also have to tell wether they are maximum, minimum or saddle points.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?