1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Points in 3D

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the critical points of the function f(x, y) = sinx + siny + cos(x+y)
    where 0<=x<=pi/4 and 0<=y<=pi/4

2. Relevant equations
    First and second order partial derivative of f(x, y)

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find the critical points, I first find the first partial derivative with respect to x and y.

fx(x,y) = cosx - sin(x+y)
    fy(x,y) = cosy - sin(x+y)

Set both of the first partial derivative = 0
    cosx = sin(x+y) x=pi/4 and y=0
    cosy = sin(x+y) x=0 and y=pi/4

Here is where I got stuck, I noticed two points where the above equations are true, but how do I find all the critical points?

I checked the two points I found using
    D = fxxfyy - (fxy)^2
    fxx = -sinx - cos(x+y)
    fyy = -siny - cos(x+y)
    fxy = -cos(x+y)

and I found that D for both points are less than zero, which suggest that they both are saddle points. I then graphed the function f(x, y) and these two points don't appear to be saddle points on f. I assume that I made some mistake somewhere either in the derivative or the graph, if someone can check this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said:

fx(x,y) = cosx - sin(x+y)
    fy(x,y) = cosy - sin(x+y)

Set both of the first partial derivative = 0
    cosx = sin(x+y) x=pi/4 and y=0
    cosy = sin(x+y) x=0 and y=pi/4

But you must solve these simultaneously. You have picked values that solve them separately, which is irrelevant. But what you can get from those last two equations is that cos(x) = cos(y). And on [0, π/4] that means x = y. Use that in your equation for fx = 0 to see if you can find critical points in your domain.

Depending on what your problem asks for, you may need to check the boundaries too.:yuck:

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks LCKurtz, I haven't solve it yet but your suggestion is really helpful. It makes a lot more sense when I look at the graph. The maximum of the surface is indeed a point where x and y are equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook