Critical points of system of ODE in MATLAB - Game theory and poker

In summary, to solve your system of equations, you will need to use a numerical method, such as Newton's method, and there are many resources available to help you do this.
adam512
Hello there,

I hope I'm posting in the right section.

I have been doing some work on evolutionary game theory and poker. I will give a brief description of how I got here.

I have eight strategies [itex]i = 1, 2, \ldots, 8[/itex] and the eight proportions of the population playing each strategy is [itex]x_1, x_2, \ldots , x_8[/itex].

I also have a fitness function [itex]F_{x_i}[/itex] for each strategy.
I have the average fitness of the population [itex]\bar{F} = \sum_{i = 1}^8{x_i(F_{x_i})}[/itex].
Finally I have the replicator equations [itex]\frac{dx_i}{dt} = x_i(F_{x_i}-\bar{F})[/itex].

I now want to find the critical points of the system containing the eight replicator equations. So I set [itex]\frac{dx_i}{dt} = 0[/itex] for all [itex]i = 1, 2, \ldots ,8[/itex]. I have tried this using MATLABs function solve, and after much trial and error the best result was a parametric solution in 6 of the eight variables [itex]x_1, x_2, \ldots x_8[/itex] and my instructor was quite confided that I would only find a single non-trivial solution.

If anyone have advice on how I can solve the problem it would be great. I am not that good with MATLAB. I also would like to specify that [itex]x_i > 0[/itex] for all [itex]i[/itex].

OBS: I have all the fitness functions, and they are all functions of all eight variables [itex]x_i[/itex], and they are all linear, but the average fitness [itex]\bar{F}[/itex] and the replicator equations aren't.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>It sounds like you are trying to solve a system of eight equations with eight unknowns. To do this, you will need to use a numerical method, such as Newton's method. Newton's method is an iterative process that works by taking an initial guess for the solution and then updating it using a series of steps. In each step, the derivative of the system of equations is calculated and used to update the guess for the solution. This process is repeated until the solution converges to a value that satisfies all of the equations.You can find out more about Newton's method in many textbooks on numerical methods. Additionally, there are many online resources, such as tutorials and videos, that can help you understand how to implement Newton's method. Finally, if you are using MATLAB, there are built-in functions for solving systems of nonlinear equations that will likely work better than your trial-and-error approach.

1. What is a critical point in a system of ODE?

A critical point, also known as a stationary point, is a set of values for the variables in a system of ordinary differential equations where the derivatives are equal to zero. This means that the system is in equilibrium at this point, and the behavior of the system will not change.

2. How do you find critical points in a system of ODE using MATLAB?

To find critical points in a system of ODE using MATLAB, you can use the "fsolve" function. This function uses numerical methods to find the values of the variables at which the derivatives are equal to zero. It takes in the system of ODE, initial guesses for the values of the variables, and a tolerance value as inputs.

3. What is the role of game theory in studying critical points of a system of ODE?

Game theory is a mathematical framework for analyzing decision-making in situations where multiple players are involved and each player's outcome depends on the actions of others. In studying critical points of a system of ODE, game theory can be used to model the interactions between different variables and determine the optimal strategies for each player.

4. Can critical points of a system of ODE be applied to poker?

Yes, critical points of a system of ODE can be applied to poker. In poker, players make decisions based on the current state of the game and the actions of other players. By using game theory and analyzing the critical points of the system, players can determine the best strategies to maximize their chances of winning.

5. How can understanding critical points in poker improve one's game?

Understanding critical points in poker can improve one's game by allowing players to make more informed decisions. By analyzing the critical points of the system and the optimal strategies, players can make better decisions in each round of the game. This can ultimately increase their chances of winning and make them a more successful poker player.