1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Points of xe^x

1. Feb 11, 2008 #1
    can anybody tell me what the critical point of xe^x is? When I try putting it into my calculator, it just shows a line staring at zero with an asymptote at x=1.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the definition of "critical point"?

And I can't help but wonder what you put into your calculator! y= xex does not have any asymptotes. What is the value of y= xex when x= 1?

4. Feb 11, 2008 #3
    [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} xe^x = x*e^x + e^x[/tex]

so you need to find

[tex] 0 = x*e^x + e^x [/tex]

so the critical point is

[tex] x = -1 [/tex]

it is the place where the function is not locally a diffeomorphism, that is where the inverse function theorem don't apply, so for higher dimensions you need to calculate the jacobian.

5. Feb 11, 2008 #4
    Thanks for your help guys. I think I got it now. When x=1, the answer is -1. This is the critical point for the function. I don't what the deal was with my calculator. It could have been the scale. Anyhoo, thanks again.

6. Feb 12, 2008 #5
    not sure what you meen by:

When x=1, the answer is -1

it is not 'when x=1 or equal to anything then...'

you simply need to find where the derivative is equal to 0 or undefined, and for your function that is in x=-1.

7. Feb 12, 2008 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

another argument against calculators. a trivial problem made hard by using and believing a calculator.

8. Feb 12, 2008 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then you don't got it. If "when x= 1, the answer is -1" is in response to my question "What is the value of y= xex when x= 1?" (my point being that if it has a value, x= 1 cannot be an asyptote), then when x= 1, y= xex= 1(e1)= 1. I can't imagine how you would get a negative number for that. And you have already been told that the critical point is NOT at x= 1.

9. Feb 12, 2008 #8
    I apologize, I see that my answer has caused some clamor. I meant that when I differentiated and solved for x, the answer is -1...which was my initial query. Thanks again for the help guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook