Solving a Complex Analysis Problem: Finding Critical Points of k(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding critical points of a function that involves a third degree polynomial and a fraction. The first derivative test is used to classify these critical points. The speaker also mentions that this topic may be too complex for an analysis assignment.
Treadstone 71
"Let a,b be in R with a>0 and f(x)=ax^3+bx. Let k(x)=[f''(x)]/[1+(f'(x))^2]^(3/2). Find the critical points of k(x) and use the first derivative test to classify them."

This seems incredibly quantitative and complicated for an analysis assignment. There must be a theorem of some kind I can use to solve this, but I can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to think that expressions like "such and such is too complicated for an analysis assignment" just shouldn't be used.

Now that I'm in my second year of analysis courses, I would like my professor to know that expressions like "such and such is too complicated for an analysis assignment" should be employed far more often :smile: .

Last edited:

1. What is a critical point in complex analysis?

A critical point in complex analysis is a point where the derivative of a complex-valued function is equal to zero. In other words, it is a point where the function has a horizontal tangent line and can potentially be a maximum, minimum, or saddle point.

2. How do you find critical points in complex analysis?

To find critical points in complex analysis, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to express the derivative of a complex-valued function in terms of its partial derivatives. Then, set both the real and imaginary parts of the derivative equal to zero and solve for the complex variable.

3. What is the significance of critical points in complex analysis?

Critical points play a crucial role in determining the behavior of a complex-valued function. They can help identify local extrema and saddle points, which in turn can provide information about the overall behavior of the function.

4. Can all complex-valued functions have critical points?

No, not all complex-valued functions have critical points. Functions that are constant or have an infinite derivative at every point do not have critical points. Additionally, some functions may have critical points only in certain regions of their domain.

5. How can critical points be used to solve complex analysis problems?

Critical points can be used to find local extrema and saddle points of complex-valued functions, which can aid in solving optimization problems and understanding the behavior of the function. They can also be used to determine the convergence or divergence of power series and contour integrals.