Finding Critical Points in g(x) = 4x - tanx

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the critical points of a function involving trigonometric identities. The error in the initial solution is corrected and a new problem is introduced. The solution involves using a Pythagorean identity to express one trigonometric function in terms of the other and solving for the roots of a polynomial in the first function.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

g(x) = 4x - tanx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]g(\theta) = 4\theta - tan\theta[/tex]
[tex]g'(\theta)=4-sec^{2}\theta[/tex]
[tex]g'(\theta)=\frac{4cos^{2}\theta-1}{cos^{2}\theta}[/tex]
[tex]g'(\theta)=\frac{-4sin^{2}\theta}{cos^{2}\theta}[/tex]
[tex]-4tan^{2}\theta=0[/tex]
[tex]-4(tan\theta)(tan\theta)=0[/tex]
[tex]\theta = arctan0[/tex]
[tex]\theta = k\pi[/tex]

So, that lists the zeros of the derivative if I am correct. I believe the other critical points are pi/2 + kpi, where tan is undefined. That is all of the critical points correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You made an error:

QuarkCharmer said:
[tex]g'(\theta)=\frac{4cos^{2}\theta-1}{cos^{2}\theta}[/tex]
[tex]g'(\theta)=\frac{-4sin^{2}\theta}{cos^{2}\theta}[/tex]

We have cos² θ + sin² θ = 1, but 4 cos² θ - 1 = 4 (1 - sin² θ) - 1 = 3 - 4 \sin² θ.

Instead you should simply set

4 cos² θ - 1 = 0,

which gives you cos θ = ±½.

Thank you, yeah I caught that right after I posted. Now I am stuck on another problem. I suppose this should more or less be posted in the pre-calc/trig section.

Finding the critical points of:
[tex]f(x)=2cos(x)+sin(2x)[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=2cos(x)+2sin(x)cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]f'(x)=-2sin(x)+2(cos^{2}(x)-sin^{2}(x))[/tex]
[tex]f'(x)=-2sin(x)+2cos^{2}(x)-2sin^{2}(x)[/tex]

I just know there is a pythag. identity in there somewhere to aid in solving for 0.

Well, just express the cosine by the sine using the Pythagorean identity to get f'(x) = -2 sin x + 2 - 4 sin² x, which is a polynomial in z = sin x with roots z = -1/4 ± 3/4. Then you calculate the x corresponding to those values of sin x. That's a standard trick to solve trigonometric equations - if you have odd powers of only one trigonometric function (here sin), express the other (here cos) and you get a polynomial in the first trig function.

What are critical points in a function?

Critical points in a function are points where the derivative of the function is equal to zero or does not exist. These points are important because they can tell us about the behavior of the function, such as where it reaches a maximum or minimum value.

How do you find critical points in a function?

To find critical points in a function, we need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, we solve for the variable to find the x-values of the critical points. These x-values can be plugged back into the original function to find the corresponding y-values.

Why is it important to find critical points in a function?

Finding critical points can help us determine the behavior of a function, such as where it reaches a maximum or minimum value. It can also help us identify any points of inflection or points where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

What is the significance of a critical point with a zero derivative?

A critical point with a zero derivative is significant because it indicates a potential maximum or minimum point in the function. However, it is important to note that not all critical points with a zero derivative will necessarily be maximum or minimum points. Further analysis is needed to determine the nature of the critical point.

How does the function g(x) = 4x - tanx have critical points?

The function g(x) = 4x - tanx has critical points where the derivative, g'(x), is equal to zero or does not exist. These critical points can be found by taking the derivative of the function g(x) and solving for x. The values of x obtained will be the x-coordinates of the critical points, and the corresponding y-values can be found by plugging these x-values back into the original function.