1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical points

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    Given [tex]n\geq 2, n\in \aleph[/tex] and [tex]f(x,y)=a*x^n+c*y^n[/tex] where [tex]a*c\not=0[/tex], determine the nature of the critical points. I found the only critical point at (0,0) and when i tried to use the criteria of the determinant of the hessian matrix to determine the kind of critical point it was, it gave me 0, so i can`t say nothing by this criteria.
    I dont know what kind of analysis of the function i am supposed to do, so any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks, Paul.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2005 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can say something of the critical points. First, consider the options ac < 0 and ac > 0. If ac > 0, then you just have polynomials that are just positive multiples of each other. If the polynomial is of odd order, you have nothing (think f(x) = x³), and if it is of even order, then you have a minimum if a > 0 (and hence c > 0) or a maximum if a < 0 (and hence c < 0). Now if ac < 0, then if n is odd, then you again have nothing since this is the same if n is odd and ac > 0, just rotated by 90o. If n is even, then you'll have a saddle point of type (1-1) and unlike minima and maxima, an upside down saddle point is still a saddle point (whereas a maximum becomes a minimum).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?