Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Radius of Special and General Relativity Effects on a Clock Orbiting Earth

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    Special Relativity states that a clock orbiting Earth will tick slower than one on the surface of Earth. General Relativity states the opposite - a clock will tick faster the further it is from a mass. Is there then a critical radius where these two effects cancel out? Ignore the rotation of Earth for this problem. State the radius in terms of rc=krE, where k is the number to be determined and where rE is the radius of the Earth.

-This was the extra credit problem on my Relativity final which I really wish I could have solved. Anybody want to take a shot at it?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Critical Radius of Special and General Relativity Effects on a Clock Orbiting Ear

Yes. If you want to take a second stab at it, consider the following:

An object on the surface of the Earth, ignoring the Earth's rotation, will have a "time dilation factor" of

[tex]\sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 r_E}}[/tex]

An object in orbit about the Earth at some radius r will have a "time dilation factor" of

[tex]\sqrt{1 - \frac{2GM}{c^2 r} - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

where v is the orbital velocity at radius r. (Can you see how to get this result?) These two facts are enough to get the answer you seek.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook