Why Am I Struggling with English Despite Excelling in Other Subjects?

In summary, I am doing very very poorly in English, while all my other courses math, chemistry, biology etc. are like 90%'s. I don't know what to do, I asked help from lots of people with this, and I still can't get do this well enough. I don't even know how I past the grad 10 literacy test.
eax
Iam doing very very poorly in English, while all my other courses math, chemistry, biology etc. are like 90%'s. I don't know what to do, I asked help from lots of people with this, and I still can't get do this well enough. I don't even know how I past the grad 10 literacy test.

Heres my problem, I have read a novel "SlaughterHouse-Five" by Kurt Vonnegut, I need to write 3 critical response journals for the beginning middle and end of the novel. May someone please explain to me how to write a "Critical response journal" and its general structure. I asked my teacher and her explanation didn't help much, she was busy at that moment though(She is almost alway's busy.)

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
This question sounds beyond the scope of the physics forum..
However you may learn about critical response as applied to literature at this http://classes.berklee.edu/llanday/resources/criticalresp.html
If you want to find out even more, try using the internet search engines with key words; critical response journal

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, all science nerds flee from english. :tongue2: :yuck: :wink:

A critical response journal is an in depth summary of what you read. Instead of just doing a book report where you go...The story is...then this happened...then she said...then he said...then they went to the store...then they challenged the evil wizard...then they won and everyone lived happily ever after...you have to analyze the text.

An example of a critical response topic would be taking a character and analyzing their appearance. How they are described by the author and how this reflects their personality.

Or taking imagry out of the text and applying it to other things.

Essentially what these journals are, is mini-essays.

Oh man...

Reminds me of the 4 years I had to take Literature. Just managed to scrape pass everyone of those damn tests. Even my finals. The lessons were boring too.

1. What is a critical response journal?

A critical response journal is a written reflection or analysis of a particular subject, such as a book, article, film, or event. It involves critically examining the subject and providing personal thoughts, insights, and reactions.

2. What is the purpose of a critical response journal?

The purpose of a critical response journal is to encourage critical thinking and reflection. It allows individuals to engage with a subject on a deeper level, analyze its strengths and weaknesses, and form their own opinions and arguments.

3. How do you write a critical response journal?

To write a critical response journal, you should first read or view the subject carefully. Take notes on important points, and then reflect on your personal thoughts and reactions. Use evidence from the subject and outside sources to support your analysis and arguments. Finally, organize your thoughts into a well-structured journal entry.

4. What are the key components of a critical response journal?

The key components of a critical response journal include a brief summary of the subject, personal reactions and thoughts, analysis and evaluation of the subject, and supporting evidence from both the subject and outside sources. It should also have a clear and logical structure with an introduction, body, and conclusion.

5. How is a critical response journal different from a traditional journal?

A critical response journal focuses on analyzing and evaluating a specific subject, while a traditional journal may cover a wide range of personal thoughts and experiences. A critical response journal also requires evidence and critical thinking, while a traditional journal may be more free-form and personal. Additionally, a critical response journal is typically written in a more formal and structured manner.