Critical Temperature Comparison: O2 & H2O

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary, the critical temperature of O2 (oxygen) is -118.57 degrees Celsius or -181.42 degrees Fahrenheit, while the critical temperature of H2O (water) is 374.15 degrees Celsius or 705.32 degrees Fahrenheit. The critical temperature of H2O is significantly higher than that of O2, meaning that water needs to be heated to a much higher temperature to reach its critical point. The critical temperature is important in understanding the behavior of substances and is primarily affected by intermolecular forces. It is a fixed property that can be affected by external factors such as pressure.
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

Compare the critical temperature of dioxygen and water.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what critical temperature means here. If someone could tell me what that means, I am pretty sure I could answer the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
google...google...google...gooooogggllllllle!

Ouch. The critical temperature of water will be higher than that of dioxygen cause of hydrogen bonding. Right? Kinda dumb... don't know what I was thinking of...physics probably...

1. What is the critical temperature of O2 and H2O?

The critical temperature of O2 (oxygen) is -118.57 degrees Celsius or -181.42 degrees Fahrenheit, while the critical temperature of H2O (water) is 374.15 degrees Celsius or 705.32 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. How does the critical temperature of O2 compare to that of H2O?

The critical temperature of H2O is significantly higher than that of O2. This means that in order to reach its critical point, water needs to be heated to a much higher temperature compared to oxygen.

3. What is the significance of the critical temperature of a substance?

The critical temperature is the temperature at which a substance can exist as both a liquid and a gas simultaneously. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of substances under various conditions, such as in industrial processes or in the Earth's atmosphere.

4. Which factor affects the critical temperature of a substance?

The critical temperature of a substance is primarily affected by its intermolecular forces. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces, such as water, tend to have higher critical temperatures.

5. Can the critical temperature of a substance be changed?

No, the critical temperature of a substance is a fixed property and cannot be altered. However, it can be affected by external factors such as pressure, which can shift the critical temperature to higher or lower values.