What strategies can be used to solve complex scientific problems?

• Thread starter mopar969
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, my friend found the equation for the gravitational field at a point within the Earth using gauss' law for gravity.
mopar969
I need help starting and solving this problem. See attachment for problem.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you list all relevant equations as well as your attempt at a solution?

you first need to show some genuine attempt yourself so that we can help you!

Try to find the equation for the gravitational field at a point within the Earth using gauss' law for gravity which is:

[tex] \oint_S \vec g \cdot d \vec A = - 4 \pi G \oint_V \rho dV [/tex]

If you haven't see the symbol [tex] \oint [/tex] it simply means that the integration is being taken over a closed surface or volume.

mopar969 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do not leave all these blank. Do some critical thinking yourself. Thats how PF works.

Here is what I have done:
Mass Earth = volume time (row) which is density
so M = 4/3 pi r^3 times row

so F= -GMm all over R^2 sub Mass Earth for big m (Question why do I sub for big not little m)
and get
f= -(4/3piG(row))mR
this has the form f = -kx so k = 4/3 piG(row) m
and T = 2pi times square root of m over k sub for k and get 2 pi times square root of 3pi all over row times G.

My question is how did my friend get that answer for the period and what do I do next?

Anybody know how this period equation was found?

mopar969 said:
Anybody know how this period equation was found?

Yes for a differential equation of the form

[tex] \ddot x = - (\omega_0)^2 x [/tex]

where the dots denote time derivatives

the general solution is

[tex] x = A cos( \omega_0 t - \delta ) [/tex]

and from here you can find the period as

[tex] T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega_0} [/tex]

If you are wondering how to solve differential equations like this for yourself, the best way is to simply guess. We want a function whose second derivative is equal to a negative multiple of itself. What can you think of? There are only a few things that can satisfy such an equation. Sine and cosine, and exponential functions of imaginary numbers, which actually turn out to be equivalent. For example:

[tex] cos(x) = \frac{e^{ix} + e^{-ix}}{2} [/tex]

Last edited:
Okay but know what should I do to find the answer to the problem?

1. What is critical thinking and why is it important?

Critical thinking is the ability to analyze and evaluate information objectively in order to form a reasoned judgement or decision. It is important because it allows us to make well-informed and logical decisions, avoid biases and fallacies, and effectively navigate complex situations.

2. What are some common barriers to critical thinking?

Some common barriers to critical thinking include fear of being wrong, personal biases and beliefs, lack of information, and emotional or psychological factors. These barriers can hinder our ability to think objectively and make sound decisions.

3. How can critical thinking be applied in everyday life?

Critical thinking can be applied in various aspects of everyday life, such as problem-solving, decision-making, and communication. It involves questioning and analyzing information, considering different perspectives and evidence, and making well-supported conclusions.

4. What are some techniques for improving critical thinking skills?

Some techniques for improving critical thinking skills include actively seeking out diverse perspectives and information, questioning assumptions and biases, practicing logical reasoning and problem-solving, and constantly evaluating and reflecting on one's own thought process.

5. Can critical thinking be taught and developed?

Yes, critical thinking can be taught and developed through practice and exposure to different techniques and strategies. It is a skill that can be honed and improved over time, and can greatly benefit individuals in their personal and professional lives.