1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical values

1. Feb 10, 2005 #1
    I'm supposed to find all critical numbers of the given function.
    Book defines critical number c as the place where f'(c)=0 or where f is not differentiable.

1. g(x)= x + 1/x
    2. f(x)= x ln (x)

work:
    1. [tex] g'(x) = \frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2} [/tex]

c= 1, -1, 0

Zero is wrong however. I put it in the answer because the function is not differentiable at that point. So I'm guessing I have the definition of differntiable at a point wrong. The limit doesn't exist as x approaches 0 so I thought the function wouldnt be differentiable there.

2. f'(x) = lnx + x/x

c= 1/e and all numbers less than or equal to zero.

The book only lists 1/e so same problem here.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2005 #2
    to add to your definition of a critical number, c must also be in the domain of the original function, thus for g(x), 0 is not in the domain of the original function and so it is not a critical number.

4. Feb 10, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why...?Are those numbers in the domain of the function "f"...?If so,is the derivative zero...?

Daniel.

5. Feb 10, 2005 #4
    Thx, math student I understand now. I was used to my pre-cal teacher teacher telling me to find critical points to solve rational inequalties which included numbers not in the domain.

6. Feb 10, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm glad you figured out this is something totally different and that the domain of the function is essential.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?