1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Values

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I'm doing a question on critical values and absolute max and mins and for some stupid reason I can't seem to get one of the questions that was assigned.

Find the absolute max and/or min of the (cube root t )(8-t) in the closed interval [0,8]

First to solve this found the first derivative so that I could find the critical numbers of the equation, which is where the first derivative equals zero.
    So when I found the first derivative I got ((1/3)(8-t)-t^(2-3))/(cube root t)

Now I know that one of these critical values is obviously going to be at t=0. But I'm stumped when it comes to finding the critical number from the numerator. I know this is a really stupid question, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Your derivative seems to be a bit off.

[tex]\mbox{If } f(t) = t^\frac{1}{3}\cdtot (8-t)[/tex]

[tex]f'(t) = \frac{1}{3}\cdot t^\frac{-2}{3}\cdot (8-t) - t^\frac{1}{3} = 0[/tex]
    [tex]f'(t) = \frac{(8-t)}{3t^\frac{2}{3}} - \frac{3t}{3t^\frac{2}{3}} = 0[/tex]
  4. Nov 11, 2005 #3
    Oh geez, I can't believe myself. I wrote the wrong exponent when I was doing the first derivative, I can be such an idiot sometimes. Thanks a lot, the question is a lot easier now...haha.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?