Why did my analysis of critically damped motion lead to the wrong solution?

In summary, the critical damping in an overdamped oscillator is when there are two different real roots for the quadratic equation in case of critical damping, while in an underdamped oscillator, the solution is still linear combination of the exponentials.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
ALl below
Relevant Equations
All below
Why is my analysis of critically damped motion wrong?
x'' + y*x' + wo²x = 0

Choosing a complex number z as z = A*e^i(wt+a) and putting on the equation calling x as the real part of Z

w = ( i*y +- (4wo²-y²)^(1/2) )/2 (bhaskara)

2wo = y (critical)

w = iy/2

z = A*e^i(ity/2 + a)
z = A*e^(-yt/2 + a)
x = A*e^(-yt/2)*cos(a)

Physics news on Phys.org
In the rolling of this question, i think the wrong step i did was adopt z as i adopted, but, if is this, raised up another question:
I am still a beginner dealing with this type of solution of differential equation by complex, so, how would i know the right z i need to assume before starting the mathematical steps?

LCSphysicist said:
In the rolling of this question, i think the wrong step i did was adopt z as i adopted, but, if is this, raised up another question:
I am still a beginner dealing with this type of solution of differential equation by complex, so, how would i know the right z i need to assume before starting the mathematical steps?
In case of critically damped or overdamped oscillators, the solution is not complex.
Read about the solutions of linear, constant- coefficient homogeneous ODE-s. (https://www.math24.net/second-order-linear-homogeneous-differential-equations-constant-coefficients/ , for example)
Usually, we start solving such equations by assuming the solution in exponential form ##y=e^{\lambda t}##, substituting back into the ODE and getting the characteristic equation for lambda, a quadratic equation, which has either complex roots (underdamped oscillator) or two different real roots (overdamped oscillator) or a double root in case of critical damping.
While the general solution is linear combination of the different exponentials, the solution is ##e^{\lambda t}(c_1+c_2t)## in case of double root, that is critical damping.

Last edited:
Likes LCSphysicist

What is critically damped motion?

Critically damped motion is a type of motion in which a system returns to its equilibrium position in the shortest amount of time without overshooting or oscillating.

What is the difference between critically damped motion and overdamped motion?

The main difference between critically damped motion and overdamped motion is that in critically damped motion, the system returns to equilibrium in the shortest amount of time without overshooting, while in overdamped motion, the system takes longer to return to equilibrium and may overshoot before settling.

How is critically damped motion achieved?

Critically damped motion is achieved by adjusting the damping coefficient of a system to a specific value that results in the shortest return time to equilibrium without overshooting.

What are some real-life examples of critically damped motion?

Some examples of critically damped motion in everyday life include shock absorbers in cars, door closers, and hydraulic systems.

What are the benefits of critically damped motion?

The main benefit of critically damped motion is that it allows for the quickest return to equilibrium without overshooting, making it ideal for systems that require precise and efficient movement.