Proving the Equality of Ratios: A Mathematical Analysis

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, we are asked to prove that the expression ((a^5 + b^2c^2 + a^3c^2)/(b^4c + d^4 + b^2cd^2)) ^ (1/2) is equal to a/d. To do so, we can use the fact that a/b = b/c = c/d = k, and then plug in values for k until we reach the desired expression. By simplifying, we can see that the final result is indeed equal to a/d.
Miike012

Homework Statement

If a/b = b/c = c/d, prove that a/d is equal to ((a^5 + b^2c^2 + a^3c^2)/(b^4c + d^4 + b^2cd^2)) ^ (1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Prove: ((a^5 + b^2c^2 + a^3c^2)/(b^4c + d^4 + b^2cd^2)) ^ (1/2) = a/d

Let: a/b = c/d = e/f = k -- Then: a = bk; c = dk; e = fk

((a^5 + b^2c^2 + a^3c^2)/(b^4c + d^4 + b^2cd^2)) ^ (1/2) = (( b^5k^5 + b^2d^2k^2 + b^3d^2k^5) / (b^4dk + d^4 + bd^3k)) ^(1/2)

(Should I simplify more? (( b^5k^5 + b^2d^2k^2 + b^3d^2k^5) / (b^4dk + d^4 + bd^3k)) ^(1/2) )

= a/d = bk/d ( Because k = a/b then ((b)(a/b))/d = a/d

Once again thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... in the (( b^5k^5 + b^2d^2k^2 + b^3d^2k^5) / (b^4dk + d^4 + bd^3k)) ^(1/2) ) would I just plug in a/b or b/c or c/d for k until I get ((a^5 + b^2c^2 + a^3c^2)/(b^4c + d^4 + b^2cd^2)) ^ (1/2)

1. What is the purpose of a peer review or critique?

A peer review or critique is meant to provide constructive feedback on a scientific work in order to improve its quality and accuracy. It also helps to identify any potential flaws or weaknesses in the research and suggest ways to address them.

2. Who can provide a critique of my work?

Typically, a critique of a scientific work is conducted by other scientists or experts in the same field. They should have a good understanding of the subject matter and be able to provide valuable insights and suggestions for improvement.

3. How can I use the feedback from a critique to improve my work?

The feedback from a critique should be carefully considered and used to revise and refine the scientific work. It is important to objectively evaluate the feedback and make appropriate changes to address any weaknesses or gaps identified.

4. Is a critique the same as a peer review?

While both involve evaluating a scientific work, a critique is typically less formal and may be conducted by peers or colleagues within the same research group. Peer review, on the other hand, is a more formal process conducted by experts in the field and is often a requirement for publication in scientific journals.

5. Is it necessary to have my work critiqued before publishing?

While it is not a requirement, having your work critiqued before publishing can greatly improve its quality and increase the chances of it being accepted for publication. It also allows for the identification and correction of any potential errors or weaknesses before they are made public.