1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crocodile Icefish and Oxygen

1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    Hello

I recently read that the antarctic crocodile icefish (Channichthyidae) has colourless blood because it lacks haemoglobin. Apparently it can transport large amounts of oxygen around the blood in dissolved form because of its low body temperature (-1.8 to 2 degrees C).

I was just after an explanation of this? What law(s) of physics state(s) that a gas is more soluble at lower temperatures?

Regards

Louis

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Generally speaking entropy is at work; lower T favors condensation of gases.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    It's not a general rule.
    Some gases are more soluble in some solvents at lower temperatures.
    An example is oxygen dissolved in water.

It's a case by case thing. Similar to some chemical reactions release energy (exothermic) and others need energy from environment (endothermic).
    The solubility case depends also on what happens when the gas dissolves: heat released or absorbed.

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

He solubility in water is the only exception of which I'm aware, and that's only through a limited T range.

7. Jan 21, 2016 #6
    Water is not the only solvent.
    The solubility on oxygen in alcohol increases with temperature.
    So a "general" explanation like lower temperature favors condensation of gases is missing something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook