• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Main Question or Discussion Point

Ehm, if not actually the blood, the crocodile's remarkable ability to fight bacterial infections might be a new source for powerful antibiotics, according to this article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4155522.stm

Answers and Replies

Crocodile's blood good for you... I would imagine its better for the crocodile :tongue2:
I hope the research turns out well, of course from this point, it will be 12+ years befor we see any real out come. :frown:

Reptilian secretions are a hot field for anti-biotic research. Even the famous Komodo Dragon's saliva fights bacterial infection. Useful Monster

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Perhaps they also should check out the blood to our dear dragon, the Komodo varan.
As I've heard, it isn't particularly assiduous in its use of toothbrush, so rotting pieces of meat filled with bacteria are commonly found wedged in between its teeth (I haven't checked whether this is true myself, though).
This rather bad oral hygiene is perhaps defensible if it has a very strong immune system, although I won't invite them to any parties unless they clean themselves properly.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Reshma said:
Reptilian secretions are a hot field for anti-biotic research. Even the famous Komodo Dragon's saliva fights bacterial infection. Useful Monster
Speaking of the devil..