Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crocodile's blood good for you?

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ehm, if not actually the blood, the crocodile's remarkable ability to fight bacterial infections might be a new source for powerful antibiotics, according to this article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4155522.stm

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2
    Crocodile's blood good for you... I would imagine its better for the crocodile :tongue2:
    I hope the research turns out well, of course from this point, it will be 12+ years befor we see any real out come. :frown:

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    Reptilian secretions are a hot field for anti-biotic research. Even the famous Komodo Dragon's saliva fights bacterial infection. Useful Monster

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps they also should check out the blood to our dear dragon, the Komodo varan.
    As I've heard, it isn't particularly assiduous in its use of toothbrush, so rotting pieces of meat filled with bacteria are commonly found wedged in between its teeth (I haven't checked whether this is true myself, though).
    This rather bad oral hygiene is perhaps defensible if it has a very strong immune system, although I won't invite them to any parties unless they clean themselves properly.

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Speaking of the devil..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?