Richard Hoagland's Birthday Surprise: Walter Cronkite Calls In

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Walter Cronkite had a negative reaction to Richard Hoagland's claims that he was an advisor to him. He made it clear that Hoagland had misled him and that he wishes he had not listened to him.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One of Richard Hoaglands http://www.enterprisemission.com favorite resume items is his stint as science advisor to Walter Cronkite and the CBS evening news. It turns out that today is Hoagland's birthday and he was on Coast to Coast AM via telephone. http://www.coasttocoastam.com Cronkite called in, of all people. Cronkite first said that he wanted Goerge and all of his listeners to know this, and then he referred to Hoagland's "hocus pocus nonsense", his "babbling about Mars", that he wished he hadn't been led astray by Hoagland, that Hoagland probably qualified for medical treatment under the CBS insurance plan, and he was glad to be away from him. Cronkite alluded to this all being a joke, but IMO it was no joke. He never said one nice thing. I think Cronkite had been waiting for this for a very long time. His work with Cronkite is one of Hoaglands most prized claims.

Happy Birthday Richard!
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/timages/page/Hoagland0425b.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did get to hear it and it was hilarious. It sounded like one of Dean Martin's celebrity roasts. You never know, he could very well consider Hoagland a friend but just think he's a bit too nutty and likes to jibe him about it.

That's what I was thinking at first but it seemed pretty clear to me that this was no joke. If Cronkite had thrown in one clear qualifier... but he never did; not even one nice word. And he made it absolutely clear that Hoagland had led him astray. In either case, he certainly roasted Hoagland. :biggrin:

Look out Saturnians. Hoagland has left Mars and is heading for Titan - his newest conspiracy gig. I guess the Martian rovers have quelled his Martian ferver.

I'm not sure what's scarier, the fact that Hoagland comes up with these magical theroies based on no information or the fact that many more people will actually believe what he says.

1. What is "Richard Hoagland's Birthday Surprise: Walter Cronkite Calls In"?

"Richard Hoagland's Birthday Surprise: Walter Cronkite Calls In" is a recorded phone conversation between former CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite and NASA consultant Richard Hoagland, where Cronkite wishes Hoagland a happy birthday and discusses various topics related to space exploration and the Apollo missions.

2. When was this phone conversation recorded?

This phone conversation was recorded on April 14, 1996, which was Hoagland's 50th birthday.

3. Why is this phone conversation significant?

This phone conversation is significant because it showcases the friendship between Cronkite and Hoagland, both prominent figures in the field of space exploration. It also provides insight into their thoughts and beliefs about the Apollo missions and the scientific community.

4. How did this phone conversation become public?

Hoagland released this phone conversation as a surprise birthday gift to himself on his website, The Enterprise Mission, in 1996. It has since been shared and discussed by various individuals and organizations interested in space exploration and history.

5. Is this phone conversation authentic?

Yes, this phone conversation is authentic and has been verified by both Hoagland and Cronkite. It is a genuine conversation between the two friends and has not been edited or manipulated in any way.