Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crop Circles: Skeptics please

1. Oct 22, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Crop Circles

We all know that many to most circles are hoaxed. It is my understanding that beyond any doubt, this phenomenon predates modern reports by at least decades. Some years ago I watched a Nova or similar that discussed this subject purely in meteorological terms. It was shown that meteorologist in the US studied this phenomenon as early as the 1940s.

Here is one link that I happened upon. How do we explain the real ones? Wind? Earthlights or similar? Some kind of electrostatic phenomena? IMO it is unfortunate that this subject is obscured by the National Enquirer stuff.

http://www.paranormalresearchonline.com/unexplained_crop.html

The Mowing Devil:
    http://www.rense.com/general39/mow.htm

Other mythical references: Interesting.
    http://www.danu.co.uk/ne/66/mower.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A nice discussion from BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south/prog_03/index.shtml

4. Oct 22, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

In your title, you asked for skeptics. As a skeptic, that question has no meaning to me.

5. Oct 23, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which explanation do you prefer: ET, wheat fairies, or some natural but unknown process? If the latter, then what?

6. Oct 23, 2003 #5
    How is a skeptic (or anyone of such position) to identify an "unknown process"?

7. Oct 23, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First we consider the evidence; and then the physics required to produce such evidence. From this we can speculate as to the source. I am assuming that the explanation lies well within the bounds of known physics. We just don't understand the process.

8. Oct 23, 2003 #7
    I haven't seen any photographs of anything that couldn't have been hoaxed. I haven't seen any photographs of anything that looked like the result of natural processes except the "Vacant Lot" circle you posted a month or two ago. Evidence from circles 800 AD to when modern ones began to be photographed is all gone.

So it looks like the only possible source of reliable descriptions would be the records of the 1940s meteorological studies. If you can find these then there might be photos and descriptions to look at of circles unsullied by association with the hoax movement.

9. Oct 23, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea if this early research is available on the net. Here is some more recent information.

http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/blt1.htm

Sorry; sometimes I forget that not everyone knows this stuff. I will spend a little time looking for the orignal research.

10. Oct 23, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.stonehenge-avebury.net/scienceofcropcircles.htm

11. Oct 23, 2003 #10
    The info at that link (in your post before last) is pretty much impossible for me to comment on. I know nothing about botany. If you have an unreadable notes by Hoover about this I can translate, though.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  12. Oct 23, 2003 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is one famous quote from Hoover in this regard. Since you can't open pdfs I will tranlate for you. When the FBI was asked to stay out of crop circle investigations, Hoover responds:

To my knowledge, the meaning of this comment has never be ascertained.

13. Oct 23, 2003 #12
    http://www.stonehenge-avebury.net/scienceofcropcircles.htm
    Well, this link is super-duper. Did you read it all? Eyewitness reports of a perfectly natural explanation for the "simple" crop circle.

Whirlwinds are weird. I was laying out on a towel sunning myself in a park once and one came along and dipped own right on me, disheveling my hair and towel, then retreated back up and whirled away. Another time I was driving slowly along a shady dirt road on a wickedly hot, dry day, and came upon something like a standing dust devil where another dirt road lead off the one I was on. I stopped and watched it for a while. It danced around quite a bit, got stronger, weaker, stronger, weaker, but never seemed to leave the spot. I got bored and drove on.

14. Oct 23, 2003 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Russ, I was hoping for some skeptical feedback towards a credible mechanism. For example, ionic vortices are one favored explanation. Is this possible? Could this be an example of micro-micro bursts? Could this be related to earthlights?

Many explanations have been proposed over the years - many of them could not survive the wrath of Russ. The denial of the mystery only serves to perpetuate the mystery. Explanations that make sense have a way of getting around.

15. Oct 23, 2003 #14
    I know this note, actually. The meaning is clear in the context of the next sentence:

-----------------------------
    For instance in the La. case the Army grabbed it and would not let us use it on the lawn at headquarters, here.
    -------------------------------

16. Oct 23, 2003 #15

russ_watters

No, my point was being a skeptic I think there are no "real" ones.
    Fair enough. The mechanism I would suggest is a guy with a stick, a board, and some string.

17. Oct 23, 2003 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You claim to be a skeptic:
    This is a belief.

In order to be objective one must consider all evidence about which to be skeptical. You want to stop with the assumption that all are hoaxes. The evidence is to the contrary. As a skeptic, I don't accept your explanation. How do you justify your position?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2003
  18. Oct 24, 2003 #17

russ_watters

Hehe, no. I have seen no compelling evidence that any are anything but artificial. Thats not an assumption, thats a conclusion based on data.

Further, the failure of the secondary goal of finding a non-artificial cause is more evidence that they must all be artificial.

19. Oct 24, 2003 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like I said, you are not a skeptic.

You have not responded to any of the information posted. If you wish to dispute the evidence, could you address each item point by point?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  20. Oct 24, 2003 #19

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

So let me respond as a skeptic. Of the three links you gave, only the first is addressable on a reasonable basis. The others are just cute.

The first link is BS. If the people who produced it had been interested in representing reality, they'd have followed every statement - especially those about chemical changes - with a reference to the original paper, which would have been published in a refereed journal, or at least posted online where we could judge its results for ourselves. Instead this essay is the usual in-group babble to the faithful.

That skeptical enough fer ya?

21. Oct 24, 2003 #20
    I agree...the problem is that you are starting from the assumption that some crop circles are real, and others are hoaxes. We KNOW that most of them are, so we put the rest in the 'probably also hoaxes' column until some evidence shows up. A search for a 'mechanism'(besides boards and rope) for this sort of 'event' is nearly meaningless. You can guess all you like, but then you have to come up with experimental or observational proof that your guess is correct. And, has anyone actually shown the existance of the "ionic vortices"?

Darn it, two places in a week that me and Russ agree on something!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?