Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cropping a pdf

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    Dear all,
    i just need to know the correct way to crop a pdf file, which contains a picture.
    I already cropped so that i select only the picture...but after saving and including in a latex document...everything worked fine...
    But when i search for some words...they still appear as invisible!!!!
    For e.g., the pdf file that i cropped has some paragraph...When i search some word (it may be in the un-cropped pdf file,,,it is also showing, actually not showing the word but it is selects some space in the document..
    is there a way to crop completely...??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    How did you crop it? What format did you save it in?

Just use the snapshot tool in reader to select the image, paste it into paint, change the paint window to the right size, and save it as an image (BMP, JPEG, ETC.) Use the image file in your latex doc. You should lose all the PDF remnants that way.

Converting the pdf to an image, then cropping the image (and saving the cropped image as an image) should also work. imagemagick would work for that. I have also just learned that you can copy the pdf into paint and just crop the image that way.
  4. Feb 17, 2010 #3
    If you open a pdf file using adobe acrobat professional you can crop it..After opening the pdf file just go to 'Document' then 'Crop pages'..There using crop option you can cut to desired cutting boundry and then save the pdf..After saving when you open you will get only the cropped part. After cropping i included the image pdf file in to my latex document. After compiling it worked fine..But in case if i search for a text (let us say: the same word from uncropped pdf file) in the compiled pdf document, it is showing as a blue mark. And i want to avoid these blue marks.
    The schematic figures in that pdf is really good (vector type image). So i dont want to convert it to jpeg or bmp, etc and then crop and then reconvert it to pdf (but this pdf is of not good quality).
    Do you understand my problem..If not i can send you a sample file of one page.
  5. Feb 17, 2010 #4
    I do, but conversion's the best way I can think of to absolutely ditch all the pdf metadate/text/remnants. You can always save to image to another lossless type (like TIFF).
  6. Feb 18, 2010 #5
    Hi story645,
    i solved the problem...[i tried with tiff..but still not good..reason: my image is already a bad one].
    May be helpful for others:
    After cropping the pdf, then 'save as' in eps format then convert again to pdf..
    Now in the newly converted pdf if you look at crop option (i said in my previous reply) you will see all are set to zero..
    thanks you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook