What Determines the Outcome in an Elastic Collision Between Two Croquet Balls?

• Thread starter anightlikethis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the problem involves a 0.180 kg croquet ball colliding elastically with a second ball at rest, causing the second ball to move off with half the original speed of the first ball. The mass of the second ball can be found by solving for "v2a" using the equations provided, and then plugging it back into the equations to solve for the mass of "ball b".
anightlikethis

Homework Statement

A 0.180 kg croquet ball makes an elastic head-on collision with a second ball initially at rest. The second ball moves off with half the original speed of the first ball.(a) What is the mass of the second ball?(b) What fraction of the original kinetic energy (KE/KE) gets transferred to the second ball?

Homework Equations

a)1/2Mava^b+1/2Mbvb^2=1/2Mav2a^2+1/2Mbv2b^2

b)mava+mbvb=mav2a+mbv2b

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for "v2a" using equation b and got mb2.77777va I then plugged this back into equation a and got (.5)(.18)(va)^2=(.5)(.18)((mb)(2.77777)(va))^2+(.5)(mb)((.5)(va))^2. If I've done this correctly I still don't know how to solve it correctly to find the mass of "ball b"

Physics news on Phys.org
You can factorize m_b from the right-hand side of your final equation. I haven't checked if it's correct but your method obviously is.

and the fraction of the original kinetic energy transferred to "ball b".

I would first double check the equations being used to ensure they are appropriate for this situation. In this case, the equations used seem to be correct for an elastic collision between two objects.

To solve for the mass of the second ball (ball b), I would use the equation for conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, we know that the first ball has a mass of 0.180 kg and is moving at some initial velocity (va), while the second ball has an unknown mass (mb) and is moving at half the initial velocity (0.5va). Therefore, we can write the equation as:

0.180 kg * va = mb * 0.5va

Solving for mb, we get mb = 0.360 kg. This is the mass of the second ball.

To find the fraction of the original kinetic energy transferred to the second ball, we can use the equation for conservation of kinetic energy, which states that the total kinetic energy before a collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In this case, we know that the initial kinetic energy is 0.5 * 0.180 kg * (va)^2, and the final kinetic energy is 0.5 * 0.360 kg * (0.5va)^2. Therefore, the fraction of the original kinetic energy transferred to the second ball is:

0.5 * 0.360 kg * (0.5va)^2 / (0.5 * 0.180 kg * (va)^2) = 0.5 * 0.25 = 0.125

So, the fraction of the original kinetic energy transferred to the second ball is 12.5%.

1. What is a Croquet Ball?

A Croquet Ball is a small, hard ball used in the game of Croquet. It is typically made of wood or plastic and is about 3-3.5 inches in diameter.

2. How many Croquet Balls are used in a game?

A standard game of Croquet uses six balls, with each player using a different color ball.

3. What are the rules for hitting a Croquet Ball?

The Croquet Ball is struck with a mallet and must be hit through a series of hoops in a specific order. The player must also avoid hitting other balls and must hit their own ball cleanly to earn points.

4. Are there different types of Croquet Balls?

Yes, there are different types of Croquet Balls for different levels of play. Some balls are designed for professional use and are made of higher quality materials, while others are more suitable for recreational play.

5. How do you determine the winner in Croquet?

The winner of a game of Croquet is the player who successfully completes the course first, earning the most points. Points are earned by hitting the ball through the hoops and hitting the center peg at the end of the course.