Cross browser website question

• Thread starter Dave Ritche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
In summary: Code=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0596517742In summary, the problem is probably that the page is not compliant with HTML5 or CSS3 standards.
Dave Ritche
I have designed a webpage and i opened it in chrome.It worked quite fine and all the layouts were at their position but when the same page i opened in internet Explorer messed up and the layouts weren't at their position.In firefox,only the header section showed up.What is the problem?Howcaan it be solved?

Technology news on Phys.org
Dave Ritche said:
I have designed a webpage and i opened it in chrome.It worked quite fine and all the layouts were at their position but when the same page i opened in internet Explorer messed up and the layouts weren't at their position.In firefox,only the header section showed up.What is the problem?Howcaan it be solved?
This is why I suggested learning bootstrap in one of your previous posts.

Likes Dave Ritche
Point me at the page.

It is the usual problem of incompatibility among browsers and especially of IE. These days, are far less in many regards, if I remember what was the case back in 2005, where we were developing webpages manually and it could take a substantial time to test them, in a cross browser fashion. But unfortunately there are still differences in the render model regarding html 5, css and Ecmascript - the latter have been substantially been limited. You can use frameworks like jQuery and many other and there are cross - tools and libraries for css too, for cross - browser compatibility and even for compatibility between mobile and web pages. As, web development has got a lot more complicated and demanding, I think it is not a good recommendation to try developing things manually any more. Use ready - to - go tools, to be on the safe side - of course a good working knowledge of the programming / scripting / mark-up languages and technologies is still a must, for any serious developer.

Likes Dave Ritche
Dave Ritche said:
And this is on a laptop or desktop probably.
Now imagine what will happen on a tablet or a phone (with the various OS and screen sizes to account for).
That's why we suggested Bootstrap in the thread about form layout.

I was reluctant to use it, but constantly adapting and testing HTML/CSS in various desktop and mobile browsers was a losing battle.
I don't "like" Bootstrap. You basically set your intelligence to 0, apply the clear rules about how to build the grid, and use boilerplate classes in your HTML elements. It is boring, like mindless copy-paste. But it works, that's the bottom line.

Samy_A said:
I don't "like" Bootstrap.
Try something else like html5boilerplate or just plain normalize.css

Using standards is IMO a far better way to get your page looking well in various browsers than just by constantly testing any kind of code you've managed to put together before thinking about the standards. This is why standards exist. If you use only HTML 5 standard and CSS 3 stylesheets, your page (in theory) should look okay in any of the recent browsers, and you'll be able to have very nice pages.

These small books (not on Amazon, unfortunately) are the easiest way I found to learn the standards: https://abookapart.com/products/html5-for-web-designers but there are many online resources (not quite as clear and easy as those unique SMALL books). The one by the same publisher on CSS is just as succinct and clear. Highly recommended. They are small enough to carry in a large pocket.

You can test which parts of HTML5 are supported by which browsers here: http://html5test.com/

You can test your page for compliance with HTML standards here: https://validator.w3.org/

(and there is a similar validator for CSS style sheets, google for it)

You can learn which parts of Javascript are safe to use in web pages by reading this (also small) book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0596517742/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Dave Ritche

1. Why is it important to make a website cross-browser compatible?

Cross-browser compatibility ensures that a website looks and functions consistently across different web browsers, such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer. This is important because not all browsers interpret website code in the same way, and a site that looks good on one browser may look completely different or even broken on another. By making a website cross-browser compatible, you can provide a better user experience for all visitors, regardless of the browser they are using.

2. What are the common challenges in creating a cross-browser compatible website?

Some of the common challenges in creating a cross-browser compatible website include differences in how browsers handle HTML, CSS, and JavaScript code, varying support for web standards, and browser-specific bugs and quirks. It can also be challenging to test a website on multiple browsers, especially if you don't have access to all the different browsers and devices.

3. What are some techniques for achieving cross-browser compatibility?

There are several techniques that can help achieve cross-browser compatibility. These include using web standards-compliant HTML and CSS, using browser-specific hacks and workarounds, and using CSS frameworks and libraries that have been tested on multiple browsers. It's also important to test the website on different browsers and devices throughout the development process.

4. How do browser updates affect cross-browser compatibility?

Browser updates can affect cross-browser compatibility in a few ways. Sometimes, updates can introduce new features or better support for web standards, making it easier to achieve cross-browser compatibility. However, updates can also introduce new bugs and break existing code, which can lead to compatibility issues. It's important to regularly test a website on different browsers, including after browser updates, to ensure it continues to function properly.

5. Can cross-browser compatibility be achieved for older browsers?

Cross-browser compatibility can be achieved for older browsers, but it may require more effort and workarounds. Some older browsers, like Internet Explorer 6, have limited support for modern web standards and may require specific code or hacks to display a website correctly. However, it's up to the website developer to determine the level of support for older browsers and whether it's worth the additional time and resources to make a website cross-browser compatible for them.