1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross correlation

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A signal x(t) is transmitted and received back as y(t) and sampled in the receiver, so we get a DT signal
    y[n] = ax[n-D] + w[n], where w[n] is noise

baiscally i need to explain how we can measure the time delay by computing crosscorrelation Ryx(l).

My undestanding is:
    cross-correlation measures how similar the signals are, so if we ccompute cross correlation of a signal with its reflected version, we will get shifted peaks, and the amount of shifting is the delay

Is this correct?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2
    Can you please solve it?
  4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    I realize this is a super old thread. But I was about to ask the exact same question. So I figure I would try bumping it up.

My understanding is very similar to EvLer's. I have a transmitted pulse x(t) and the received pulse is x(t). These are received by a receive and processed to determine the time delay. The distance from the reflecting object is the time delay.

Can anyone provide a little more information to make things clearer or confirm what is above in post or Evler's?

Thanks in advance!
  5. Jan 23, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hey Evo8! :smile:

I can confirm what is in Evler's post.

The cross correlation of x and y has a peak at position D.
    Cross correlation can typically be computed with a transform (DFT or other).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?